Engine Chugged, now dead | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Engine Chugged, now dead

ditto_head2002

Reaction score
City, State
New Richmond, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
Hello

I have a '91 with 6cyl, 4x4. Approx. 134,000 miles. Bought May 2004.

Two weeks after I bought it, check engine light began coming on and missfired. Ford dealer hooked it up to their diagnostic computer. Repair invoice states: "WDS TEST CODE 41". They said it could be crankshaft position sensor, but needed work done before they could diagnose for sure. They did the following:

- Tune up, including new plugs, plug wires, coil, PCV valve
- Cleaned induction system
- Replaced fuel filter
- Cleaned injectors
- Replaced MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR
- Replaced OXYGEN SENSOR

They reset the computer and retested - tested OK. I drove the truck for about 10 miles, CHECK ENGINE light came on again, but ran fine. Engine continued to start and run fine, however "CHECK ENGINE" light came on after 10 miles, every time it was driven.

When started in colder weather, it would run rough to begin with, but when put in drive, would run fine - never stalled once.

Then fuel pump began leaking and the complete "FUEL SENDING UNIT" was replaced. Truck ran fine.

A month or so later, I was down to under 1/4 tank of gas. After refueling, I drove about 2 miles then engine began to loose power, run extremely rough, but didn't seem to be missfiring, just poor power. Almost stalled at stoplight, but I made it home, and hasn't been driven since.

It was cold here, so I thought I might have ice in gas, so I put in two bottles of ISO-HEAT. No change.

Over the next couple of weeks, it would start perfectly, but chugged badly. When I would step on the accelorator, it killed instantly. The engine would restart again without hesitation, however it still chugged badly and would die when stepping on accelorator. This continued the next couple of times I started it. Now it won't start at all. Engine turns over perfectly, and after several seconds will cough like it's trying to fire, but fails to start. "CHECK ENGINE", "OIL", and other lights come on normally when ignition is turned on.

Any ideas? Could this be the "CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR"? Any easy way to check it?

I've put almost $3,000 into truck since I bought it in May 2004. I don't want to pay the mechanics any more for a repair that could cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks for your help!

Troy, the disgruntled Ford owner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
They said (according to what they told you) that a code 41 could be related to a bad CKP, is that right? Either they didn't tell you everything, or something, because a 41 is an O2 sensor code. While I wouldn't say it's impossible for a 41 to be caused by a bad CKP, It's far from the first thing I would look at.
In any case, a lot has been done since that 41 was pulled. Like Robb said, we need the codes the computer is putting out now. When you pull the codes, be sure to note which codes come before the separator pulse (KOEO codes), which come after (CM codes), and which come out as part of the KOER test. The diagnostic tree for a code often depends on which part of the test it comes from. Noting which tests pass can also be good information.

ditto_head2002

Reaction score
City, State
New Richmond, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I purchased a code reader (I figured the $40 is a good investment) and performed the tests today.

I received the following codes:

KOEO Code:

21 Cooling Temp Sensor Out of Range

CM Code:

41 HEGO (HO2S) Out of Range - Always lean

I'm no mechanic, but to me, neither of these should affect the vehicle starting.

I tried starting again - still turns over only. I do hear fuel pump power on.

Hmmmmmm

Troy
:fire:

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
KOEO 21 could easily be because the engine won't start. Computer expects the engine to be warmed up for the test. You can't start it, so the engine isn't warmed up.
And I wouldn't expect an O2 sensor to prevent it from starting, like you said.

You said you could hear the fuel pump come on. What is the fuel pressure? Are the fuel injectors firing?

Are the spark plugs firing?

1quick95

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport-Trac
Had a similar problem with a explorer in the shop.The truck had a bad pump due to water in the tank,if they changed the fuel pump and left the water in the tank,it would eat the new pump pretty quickly.Pull the fuel filter,and check to see if theres water in it.Mrshorty has a good idea in checking the fuel pressure and spark as well,just because the pump is priming,doesnt mean its pumping.That O2 sensor reading constant lean could also be because the pump isnt working properly.