• Register Today It's free!

Engine Clicking??

kona_mtb

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
When I idle my 91 xl I hear a repeating clicking noise coming from the engine compartment. It will last for about 2 to 4 seconds then stop for anywhere between 3 to 10 seconds then begin again. This cycle will continue to repeat itself. I notice it the most when I'm waiting for the truck to heat up in the morning, idling in neutral. If the engine is really cold I can sometime hear it while driving as well.

Any ideas?

I was thinking timing chain but really hoping not!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't hear very many issues with timing chains on these. I would first suspect an oiling problem. How is your oil pressure? If the pressure is ok, I would get a stethoscope out and see if it is coming from the valves/pushrods.

yea sounds like it may be the timing chain my explorer now does it and my old one did it to, theres abit of ajustment on the tensioner as i was told from a freind of mine, what oil are u putting in it? i ran heavier oil during the summer time and it seemed to be louder run a thinner oil for winter

yea sounds like it may be the timing chain my explorer now does it and my old one did it to, theres abit of ajustment on the tensioner as i was told from a freind of mine, what oil are u putting in it? i ran heavier oil during the summer time and it seemed to be louder run a thinner oil for winter

Can you explain this adjustment?

I can almost guarantee it is not the timing chain. It is probably just the lifters. It's normal for higher mileage OHV motors, and isn't a big deal. Just search for lifter tap and you will get all kinds of results.

The timing chain in an OHV motor has about a 99.9% chance that it will never have to get touched for the life of the motor. Most likely something else will fail first. The timing chain problems you see a lot are on the SOHC motors, a completely different beast.

do you have an a/c system

been tru this and still have the noise, I can here alot of tickin n clikin under my hood. My lifter have a little tap, my alternator(new) makes funny noises, the a/c bypass pully bearing clicks and a few other noises i cant quit explain. If you let it sit for an extended period of time in this cold weather your most deffinatly gettin lifter ticks, its normal. Ive had these noises for over 75,000 miles when i first bought my X five yrs ago. Truck its self has 278,000 miles. Normal wear n tear noises. mines dosent make the tick all the time. yeah i worry about the noises myself but it would be a alot of work rebuild everything. Good luck tho!!!

Back