Engine coating messed up with Purple Power? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine coating messed up with Purple Power?

voss24

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
HELP!

I was a little anxious and sprayed my engine compartment with Purple Power degreaser about 10 minutes after I got home. I let it sit maybe 2 minutes and then rinsed. But im kinda concerned, the gunmetal (im assuming powdercoated) top of the engine was stripped clear! now im left with it being nearly white. Maybe the picture can show it well enough....

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

Its WHITE!? I forsure wiped off some of the coating.

What should I do? Im honestly scared to turn my truck on, if the purple power has this kinda.... power...

My dad said maybe the dark grey was really just corroded aluminum?

Paint it? idk just looks kinda sad now :(

PS it came from this:

IMG_0637.jpg

Thanks guys, fingers crossed i didnt kill my baby :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im no pro. but i think you're good man...hells it seems to just be really clean to me, id let it fully dry before i cranked it back up tho

wow that stuff is really powerful...Now you get to paint it yourself! Never was a fan of the ugly aluminum that can't stay good looking

Update:

Just started her up, seems okay. I may try this again this weekend, and actually scrub the bay. I wish it ended up shinier, not sure how to make that happen

Spent some time talking to a local cobra owner (it only has 11,000 miles on it) and he uses wheel cleaner on his engine bay to keep it clean and shiny.

Any idea how he uses it? like does he spray everything or is there stuff to avoid?

He said he just sprays it on while it's running, lets it sit for about 20 seconds, then hoses it off lightly. Personally I'm afraid of water getting where it's not supposed to be. I mean, what's he know, he never really has to do anything besides get out a dust cloth. You could eat off the inside of that engine bay.

Purple Power is pretty strong....I did the same thing to my V8 engine plate with Simple Green, which I mixed a bit strong. I typically use regular engine degreaser, wipe everything down or powerwash, then spray tire foam on it. No reason to wipe down the tire foam, just let it sit. It keeps the black plastic looking good for a long time.

on my four wheeler i use scrubbin bubbles and then rinse it. then when it drys i use tire foam. it will look brand new and wont hurt or dry out any gaskets/seals

Back