• Register Today It's free!

Engine codes & O2 sensors

Pappaone

Reaction score
City, State
Phenix City, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Intake Gaskets or Sensors???? My 2000 XLT has engine codes that say I need to replace all the oxygen sensors. I was told there are 4 of them on the V6 engine, but can only find 3 which I belive is correct on a V6. When I called the Ford dealer I was told it's not the sensors, but the intake gaskets ??? Any one have any ideas which way to go?? :confused: :confused: Thanks to all and to all Happy Holidays.

What are the actual codes that you are getting?

Getting a code doesn't necessarily indicate that you need to replace a sensor. Most of the codes actually indicate that you have an unusual reading from (one or more) sensor(s). This can happen when:

1. The sensor is ok, but some other problem is causing the sensor reading to be wrong.

2. The sensor is ok, and the engine is ok, but the wiring to the sensor is damaged

3. The sensor is bad and the engine is otherwise ok.

Working on pure odds it is very unlikely that all the o2 sensors will pack up at the same time. It is far more likely that there is an underlying cause, like the intake gaskets. These are very cheap and that is where I would start.

If the fuse for the O2 heaters blows, it will set O2 sensor heater codes for all the O2 sensors.

As mentioned, the exact codes will aid in diagnosis.

Back