• Register Today It's free!

Engine Codes

colecifer

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 eddie bauer
I have a '94 explorer with almost 184,000 miles on it. I live in Kansas City and go to college in Lincoln, NE. During the drive between the two cities The check engine light will come on and off starting about halfway through the trip. I finally got around to pulling some codes.

KOEO
341 - octane adjust service pin open. Sounds like an easy fix but I have no idea what it is about.

Memory Codes
124 - Memory throttle position sensor higher than expected.
172 - O2 sensor lean bank 1
173 - O2 sensor rich bank 1
214 - Cylinder identification circuit failure

I could not get the KOER test to run.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. I don't get codes off the highway but the engine is starting to run a little rough and is pretty loud when I accelerate. Not sure if this is an exhaust issue or what.

If you clear the CM codes and test drive it, which codes come back? If none, then get it on the highway long enough for the CEL to come on. Then which of those codes come back?

KOEO 341 is often considered informational, depending on the specific situation. Any stickers under the hood that mention removal of the octane adjust bar? Some service procedures call for removal of that shorting bar to retard timing a little, and, if done properly, the shop should have left a sticker under the hood. to that effect. It's possible that there is a genuine fault in the octane adjust circuit, and this shouldn't be too hard to track down with a wiring diagram and a voltmeter.

I wonder why you couldn't get the KOER test to run? I would expect operator error, so I'd try a couple of more times to see if you just didn't get a good connection or something for the KOER test. Review test procedure to make sure you're set up correctly.

It was definitely operator error. I just couldn't get it to proceed past the turn the wheel a half turn and apply the break phase. I thought I was doing it right, but it just wouldn't go on and I had to get going somewhere. I'm about to head out of town on a ski trip and I don't have a scanner of my own so its probably going to be a while before I can track down more details.

Back