Engine Compartment Gound Wire...just hanging. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Compartment Gound Wire...just hanging.

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
While replacing the Drivers side upper control arm I found a "substantial" gound wire just hanging loose in the engine compartment.

Its on the drivers side. Dangling above the engine/transmission mating area. The lug on the end of the wire looks to be about the size of 7/16 - 1/2" bolt.

The engine was replaced about 5 - 6 years ago. I assume that the installer "forgot" to attach the wire to whatever.

S/T runs just fine.

Any ideas? I was looking for a wiring diagram.

Thanks

ptf18

Look for a 12mm bolt hole on the side of the head, kind of nested between the exhaust ports. IIRC, that's where it belongs.

Found that the secured end was attached to the engine. I located a green painted bolt/stud on the firewall about centerline of the compartment just below the rubber seal (rear seal for the hood). The stud had one set of ground wires attached to it and the plastic support for the main engine wiring harness.

Short version of the long story. I checked to see if the green stud was a good ground (it was) and attached my "loose wire" to it. Dont know what the ground wire does but Im sure it was to be attached to the frame/body or Ford would have NOT included it

Thanks for your .02

Back