• Register Today It's free!

Engine cuts off...

fredferrell

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
I am having an issue with engine performance. When I am driving, the engine will sputter and I have to keep it in a lower gear just to be able to accelerate. I have changed the fuel filter and air filter since both were overdue. After I changed both, I started the vehicle and it idles fine. When I step on the accelerator and bring the engine to about 2500 RPMs, it runs fine for about 2 seconds and then cuts off. I am thinking it is the fuel pump, but I need to make sure. How can I test my theory? Thanks.

I am having an issue with engine performance. When I am driving, the engine will sputter and I have to keep it in a lower gear just to be able to accelerate. I have changed the fuel filter and air filter since both were overdue. After I changed both, I started the vehicle and it idles fine. When I step on the accelerator and bring the engine to about 2500 RPMs, it runs fine for about 2 seconds and then cuts off. I am thinking it is the fuel pump, but I need to make sure. How can I test my theory? Thanks.

Hook a fuel pressure gauge up and repeat the above,if your pressure drops it's time to check the relay,I would just replace it anyway,it's cheap.Then if it still drops I would say fuel pump,but before you do pull the filter again and make sure you are not getting brown,dirty gas indicating a rusty/crud filled tank.

No drop in pressure would lead you in another direction.Check engine light on?

Back