engine died, very odd electrical issues and no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine died, very odd electrical issues and no start

Reaction score
City, State
marquette Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer
I have been searching/testing for the every waking hour for the past 24 and am if anything further confused, I will start from the begining

The truck is/was a 2000 Ford explorer in great shape with a bad motor and slipping trans.
I swaped in EVERY mechanical and electrical component (harness's included) from a 1997 explorer that had more than its fair share of body damage but in good mechanical condition

both were 4.0 OHV it now sports a 5 speed and a manual T-case
the only mechanical components retained from the 2000 were the front and rear axle.
electrically the doors internals are all

last Night while driving down the road in 5th gear cruising 55-60mph the motor just died. This all after a full day of being on a rescue mission (experienced deep snow, high RPM, ice, broken ice/mud, water, and highway speeds)
it will crank but not fire, pop, nothing. the only ice buildup anywhere on the truck is behind the tires (fenders) and the A-arms/ rear axle.
FWIW I ALSO WANT TO MENTION THAT THE TRUCK RAN ALL DAY AND WAS NEVER SHUT OFF, IT WAS IDLED WHEN NOT DRIVING idle times were typically 30 mins +/- maybe idled 3 times for that amount. rest was driving. made 4.5 trips at highway speed for about 30-60 mins each WOT (intermitten) for 30 mins rest was low speed two tracking for 2 hours or so

fuel pressure is present but no spark

power present to coilpack
no ground at any of the 3 coilpack wires with key on (trace amount with key in off position)
crank sensor clean, terminal clean, wire in good condition and shows .6VAC while cranking on digital VOM (read somewhere the minimum threshold is .4VAC)

now for the part that is throwing me for a loop
the interior lights flash systematically when the door is opened or the key is removed from the ignition, I have read that it is typically a bad battery so i have tried 2 new batterys (and the original that was in it, 3 total)
the dome light will not respond to the dash switch, also the wipers will not work (front nor rear) everything else seems to work (that i can think of at the moment) except the windows will only roll up while the dome light flashes on, before the truck died it seemed to begin having an issue with the windows as they would only roll up or down ocassionally and when they would not it seemed that the rear defrost would stop working as well, at this point the dome light WAS still working fine (had to use it multiple times while on the mission)

several fuses in the interior fuse panel are not getting power to them all seem to be related to the GEM module and none of them are related to a no start scenario AFAIK.

FWIW fuses with no power 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 23, 24, 27, 28 and 32

The OBDII port will not communicate neither utilizing an snap-on solus scanner

I have tested, double checked and hopscotched several ground connections to double check, i had previously had an issue with gauges working inconsistent to true and believed it to be a floating ground issue but never pin pointed
swap has been completed for around a month, had put on between 30 to 40 miles before the driving yesterday, roughly 200 total now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also forgot to mention I swapped around relays in the power dist block,
And did a quick disconnect and reconnect of the ECM, 3 blockhead connectors, and motor bulkhead connector, checked all the wiring connections at the passanger and driver kick panels as well.

Update from previous post (still not fixed)

Went out to my parents house and bought myself a power probe (mother is snap on tools dealer) after encouragement from my brother (ASE master technician) and here I am a HVAC tech trying to fix a truck SMH... (brother lives across the country from me)

i started checking ecm circuits based off older posts looking for as many clues as I can to solve this.

I rechecked the Interior fuses first to aquiant myself with the PP3.
as previous stated i found out more info on the fuses

#2 is showing ground
#4 and #6 are now showing 12.6 volts ??????
#7ground
#8 ground
#2 3 9.0 volts
#2 4 ground
#2 7 9.0 volts
#2 8 ground
#32 ground

Not sure if they are true ground or if the device is grounded and there is nothing on the upstream side of the fuse

ecm pins tested with key in run position
#2 5 ground
#51 ground
#55 12.6 volts
#76 ground
#77 ground
ecm pins tested with connector off

ECM pins tested with connector DISCONNECTED

#2 1 &#2 2 crank position sensor OPEN CIRCUIT
is this suposed to be closed or open??? still seems crazy that crank would cause interior lighting issues

Begining to think these posts may be more of a running notebook for myself

fuse tests noted above may not be a short to ground, but may be that the device is grounded past the fuse and no connection before.

the 9.0V on two of the fuses may go along with this

ECM diode tests good minimal voltage drop across it
ECM relay 12 volts in 9.0 volts out.

with the key in run position if I give the ecm relay 12v out (W/power probe) the dome light quit's flashing. this however does not provide a reason that the dome light flashes again when the key is removed as the ECM relay is de-energized.

After sitting for 24 hours , IT STILL DOESNT START. insanity test

I have no idea... I'll just show my face to keep you from feeling lonely, lol.

:|

Thanks, it is appreciated. I was already think of a post for tomorrow. Was thinking EcHo..... Echo. That is if nothing is discovered. Too late, too cold and too little motivation after a long day of work today

just to see if there was any change in operations I swaped the GEM with the one from the 2000 made no difference, i then proceded to swap the pcm with the one out of the 2000 again no difference.

I disconnected the TOD relay and everything remained the same. I then disconnected the supplementary restraint computer in the passanger kick panel it eliminated the glashing lights when the key was turned off but that was about it..

discoveries made today the dome light flash's every time the pcm relay is deenergized.
the ONLY dash light that is coming on is the battery light. no check engine, no seatbelt, no ABS verified that the check engine light isnt burned out but havent got to check any of the other's the only
Afer much reading I found that many of the interior lights will not have any power if the device is not being used All fuses check over OK with the exception of 27, when i send power to it all the lights work as they should. and fuse 2 which is said to control air bag relay system and blower relay. when I send power to that fuse the Brake lights come on???
Also the window's will only roll down while the dome light is flashing, after the key is turned off

Solved!!!!

None of the diagnostics up to this point make a lick of difference.

Broken ground at g101!!!!

Yes i am yelling, geeked right now!!!!!

Back