Engine died while driving / No Elect. power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine died while driving / No Elect. power

ksperez

Reaction score
City, State
Hartford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I was driving my 96 explorer 5.0 liter down the highway and it was running fine. while I was driving I heard a very slight beep coming for the glove box direction and then the engine died. No lights, no windows, nothing works. However, if you try to jump start it, it will start and run and everything works until you unhook the jumper cables. The batt (idiot) light is on during the jump start. Could I have a bad battery or a charging problem? All help apppreciated!!!

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get your alternator tested first.. Sounds like you probably have a bad alternator.. The humming I'm not sure what it is, can you hear it more profoundly when you pop the hood?

I don't hear the noise at all anymore!! I just checked the bat voltage and it is 10 - 10.5 (very low). I jump started again and the engine stayed running this time, so I checked the voltage while running. 14.1 and if you turn the lights on while running it goes down to 13.2. Any ideas?

ksperez said:
I don't hear the noise at all anymore!! I just checked the bat voltage and it is 10 - 10.5 (very low). I jump started again and the engine stayed running this time, so I checked the voltage while running. 14.1 and if you turn the lights on while running it goes down to 13.2. Any ideas?

It could be a bad ground

There are quite a few things to check...first try the non-cost items such as cleaning your battery terminals & connections.
For some reason, sounds like your battery is not charging fully and/or not maintaining a charge.
If these symptoms occur again, do what Ben Lee suggested....have your alternator checked!

Check the alternator directly.. (Expecially the amp. output)

Check and see if the wire from the battery to the starter solenoid (relay?) has a bad connection or is loose... If this happened all of a sudden instead of gradually, that would be my guess. A shop was fiddling around with my truck once and when I was driving it home it died with no prior warning. Turns out that wire had come out of the battery terminal.

Well here we go. I tested the alternator voltage and was getting 14.1 at the alt. output and at the batt. while running. Voltage at batt while truck off 10.5. Removed batt and brought to a local parts store and had it tested the tested it and said it was a good batt but it needed a recharge. They told me they could charge it in about an hour. I came back and the told me the batt was no good it wouldn't take a charge and kept turning their charger off. I bought a new one and installed it and then had the batt. idiot light come on (indicating a charging system problem). Checked voltage while running and was getting 12.8 (at the alt output). The same as the new batt, with the truck off. Removed alt and it tested (parts store machine) at a 2 volt output. Bought a new one and all is well. While truck is running 14.89 at alt. output. No idiot light and ran it for a few hours, no problems.

Does anyone know if a bad batt. broke my alt. or if my alt ruined my batt.

Back