engine dies randomly and transmission drops into neutal while driving at highway spee | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine dies randomly and transmission drops into neutal while driving at highway spee

nissanboy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4.0 4x4
I was driving back to school about 400 miles last night and and my tranny started acting up.

When i went to pass or accelerate it would drop to neutal and do nothingbut as soon as i would let up it would shift back to 4th or overdrive and off i go...
It also started skipping gears and sputtering when i was accelerating up acceleration ramps onto the interstate.

One of the last ramps i was coming back on to i was accelerating up and the truck got to about 3500rpm and died abruptly. after i got it stopped It fired right back up and off i went.

any suggestions...

I was thinking the torqu converter died until it just up and died on me, now im thinking timing, ignition coil, computers... i dont know please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the fuel pump relay
Do you get a CEL?

Some info/stats on your truck might help too

410Fortune said:
check the fuel pump relay
Do you get a CEL?

Some info/stats on your truck might help too

97 Esplorer XLT 4.0 SOHC 120k miles.

ok i had my CEL codes ran and it came up with a IAT(intake air temperature) sensor code. Any ideas now?

Has it done it again?

my 02 gave me similar problem on a long trip i took a couple years ago..... the cel did come on but went back off later and it never happened again after that...well after getting home i ran codes and it said oxygen gas sensor lean rich-- 02 sensor was bad.... also had some simialar problems like this with a really dirty maf sensor

yeah it did it again yesterday...

i just had the tranny rebuilt after i submerged my truck for a hour or so and filled it up with water. My guess is one of the computer sensors crapped out.

You just had it rebuilt?
Take it to the builder and make them fix it

410Fortune said:
You just had it rebuilt?
Take it to the builder and make them fix it

your talking to him.... it isnt anything in the tranny i dont think.

Did you replace the air intake temp sensor? It's pretty cheap if you want to start throwing parts at the problem.

Back