Engine fan roaring (06 4.6L 6R60), trouble shooting process anyone? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine fan roaring (06 4.6L 6R60), trouble shooting process anyone?

Mart1n

Reaction score
City, State
Laval, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 X LTD 7 pas 4x4 4.6
Hi, I have the roaring (wooshing) what ever you want to call it sound issue in my 2006 4.6L 6R60. The engine fan engages excessively (while under very light load) and randomly. The radiator is good, cooling fluid level is good, heat reading is good (stock cluster gauge) and no other reason to think the engine is overheating. I have no reason to think the tranny is overheating (no smell or other signs and smooth shifting). However, the tranny will sometimes downshift from overdrive to 5th or 4th gear under relatively light load at highway speed while the engine fan engages. This is very tiresome and fuel consuming on long trips.

I'm trying to find the troubleshooting process to try and get this fixed in a methodical way (from cheap and easy to expensive and complicated). I,ve read about the thermostatic valve on the 6R60 sending a false overheat measurement to the PCM kicking in the fan. However a valve can,t send a signal, it must be some kind of heat sensor in the tranny?

Sorry for the long post, but trying to give you the facts. Does anyblody know of the trouble shooting process I could use, where I should start?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When it did on mine I replaced the fan clutch assembly with an OEM part and it has been good for the past 6 years or so.
It was roaring like 747 on JFK in NY :)

Do you remember how it acted? My fan clutch will disengage. However it comes back on with light load (going up a slope in the highway for instance). Was your clutch constantly engaged? Thanks

Mine would engage even at low temperatures when it was not needed.

IIRC uphills would amplify that even more.

I'll keep that in mind. But it does not seem to be the same issue, thanks!

I fell on Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 071012A (07-10-12). Has anyone had the PCM/TCM program update which corrected the fan problem?

Thanks!

Ford has tsb 07-10-12 for pcm update for various concerns including fan noise on startup and during ac operation. Printable View (48 KB)
TSB
07-10-12 VARIOUS DRIVEABILITY AND A/C PERFORMANCE QUALITY SYMPTOMS - 4.6L 3V 6R60 EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY

Publication Date: May 14, 2007

FORD: 2006-2007 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 06-23-11 and 07-2-8 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with the 4.6L engine and 6R60 transmission may exhibit various driveability and A/C performance quality symptoms.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Apply reprogram to 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles that may exhibit the following symptoms:

SYMPTOMS

Cold hesitation/surge
Long crank
*** Engine fan noise on cold start and A/C operation
High idle during warm up (cold engine)
Inaccurate Message Center average fuel economy estimation
Overheat indication at idle in gear in high ambient temperatures
A/C shutoff at idle in gear in high ambient temperatures
Lower than desired RPM during long deceleration
Install IDS or equivalent and ID the vehicle.
Update the PCM and TCM calibration using IDS release 48.13 and higher or 49.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2007.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Since the TCM cannot be reprogrammed alone, reprogram the PCM/TCM together to ensure that both engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
071012A 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer, And 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.6L Engine, 6R60 Transmission: Reprogram PCM And TCM (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recal 04

I fell on Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 071012A (07-10-12). Has anyone had the PCM/TCM program update which corrected the fan problem?

Thanks!

Ford has tsb 07-10-12 for pcm update for various concerns including fan noise on startup and during ac operation. Printable View (48 KB)
TSB
07-10-12 VARIOUS DRIVEABILITY AND A/C PERFORMANCE QUALITY SYMPTOMS - 4.6L 3V 6R60 EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY

Publication Date: May 14, 2007

FORD: 2006-2007 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 06-23-11 and 07-2-8 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with the 4.6L engine and 6R60 transmission may exhibit various driveability and A/C performance quality symptoms.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Apply reprogram to 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles that may exhibit the following symptoms:

SYMPTOMS

Cold hesitation/surge
Long crank
*** Engine fan noise on cold start and A/C operation
High idle during warm up (cold engine)
Inaccurate Message Center average fuel economy estimation
Overheat indication at idle in gear in high ambient temperatures
A/C shutoff at idle in gear in high ambient temperatures
Lower than desired RPM during long deceleration
Install IDS or equivalent and ID the vehicle.
Update the PCM and TCM calibration using IDS release 48.13 and higher or 49.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2007.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Since the TCM cannot be reprogrammed alone, reprogram the PCM/TCM together to ensure that both engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
071012A 2006-2007 Explorer/Mountaineer, And 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.6L Engine, 6R60 Transmission: Reprogram PCM And TCM (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recal 04

I was curious to reassure myself the clutch was not stuck (¨seized¨) in the On mode, so I unplugged the signal wire to the fan clutch. The fan stopped turning. So i know it is not seized and receiving an on signal. So again, this may point to some sort of mal function read or induced by the PCM / TCM. There are so many possibilities (actual overheating of the engine or transmission both of which I doubt, bad sensors, bad programming (see above)...) I've ordered an OBD WiFi transceiver to read the error codes and if possible the transmission fluid temp).

Again, if somebody has ideas or know of a good troubleshooting process please advise.

Thanks!

I am just going with the simplest thing first as I was having similar problems with mine. Check you coolant level. Once I filled my up it worked fine, until it leaked out again via a cracked T by the heater core.

I was curious to reassure myself the clutch was not stuck (¨seized¨) in the On mode, so I unplugged the signal wire to the fan clutch. The fan stopped turning. So i know it is not seized and receiving an on signal. So again, this may point to some sort of mal function read or induced by the PCM / TCM. There are so many possibilities (actual overheating of the engine or transmission both of which I doubt, bad sensors, bad programming (see above)...) I've ordered an OBD WiFi transceiver to read the error codes and if possible the transmission fluid temp).

Again, if somebody has ideas or know of a good troubleshooting process please advise.

Thanks!
Did you ever get this figured out?

I am having the same problem. It has to be sensor and PCM. Any updates?

Hi, I have the roaring (wooshing) what ever you want to call it sound issue in my 2006 4.6L 6R60. The engine fan engages excessively (while under very light load) and randomly. The radiator is good, cooling fluid level is good, heat reading is good (stock cluster gauge) and no other reason to think the engine is overheating. I have no reason to think the tranny is overheating (no smell or other signs and smooth shifting). However, the tranny will sometimes downshift from overdrive to 5th or 4th gear under relatively light load at highway speed while the engine fan engages. This is very tiresome and fuel consuming on long trips.

I'm trying to find the troubleshooting process to try and get this fixed in a methodical way (from cheap and easy to expensive and complicated). I,ve read about the thermostatic valve on the 6R60 sending a false overheat measurement to the PCM kicking in the fan. However a valve can,t send a signal, it must be some kind of heat sensor in the tranny?

Sorry for the long post, but trying to give you the facts. Does anyblody know of the trouble shooting process I could use, where I should start?

Thanks!
Had the exact same problem, a new motorcraft fan clutch fixed it immediately. I did everything else so I narrowed it down to it being the fan clutch, along with the fact I would very occasionally get a code for the fan clutch having a communication problem

I put a new fan clutch, new t-stat (two of them, actually) new belt, CTS in the head under the intake, some other new bits and mine always did this right up until I quit driving it. I figured it might be the PCM...some folks say the wiring may be bad but mine was all in pretty good shape.

Back