woodswise

Reaction score
City, State
rudy Ar 72952
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explo sport trac 2wd
Callsign
woodswize
Motor shot in 2003 ST 2WD, need to know which year models will direct replace for this year model. VIN #1FMZU67E33UB00019 , Engine v6-245 4.0L SOHC. and of the replacement models is one better then the others, expressly where the timing chain issues are concerned.
I hope I have posted to the right area.
any help is appreciated.
Thank You
Woodswise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Others will chime in but what I've seen on this site is that any SOHC 4.0 from an Exploder, ST, Ranger or Mustang (and apparently some Range Rover models) will go right in. There are some differences I am aware of such as the upper intake manifold and other minor things that you will probably need to retain from your existing engine.

Far as I'm aware there were no changes to the timing chain stuff beyond the material used for the guides in about '02 model year. Other than that just use conventional wisdom - the newer and less miles, the better. These engines were in the above noted vehicles through at least the 2010 model year, not sure if it's in use in any Fords beyond that year.

Others will chime in but what I've seen on this site is that any SOHC 4.0 from an Exploder, ST, Ranger or Mustang (and apparently some Range Rover models) will go right in. There are some differences I am aware of such as the upper intake manifold and other minor things that you will probably need to retain from your existing engine.

Far as I'm aware there were no changes to the timing chain stuff beyond the material used for the guides in about '02 model year. Other than that just use conventional wisdom - the newer and less miles, the better. These engines were in the above noted vehicles through at least the 2010 model year, not sure if it's in use in any Fords beyond that year.
Thank you vary much for the timely response, it is very much app.
I just bought this truck a few months ago for my wife and did not know about the timing chain issues. it had 123000 miles on it ran and sounded good, tough way to learn not to get burned - at least by the same flame.

Thank you
Woodswise

Does anyone

Have any more advise?
All info is appreciated.

Thanks
Woodswise

Any late 06-10 Explorer / Sport trac, Ranger or Mustang would be the best bet, they have the most "updated" timing chains. If you pull the valve cover off the guides should be white in color. I still wouldn't get a motor over 100k miles unless you want to do timing chains.

If it was me, i would put new timing components on and new water pump and probably new rear main seal in since the motor is out. just cheap insurance.

Back