• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

engine for the 2020 explorer Platinum

kenz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 expedition
Does the 2020 explorer platinum get the same engine as the 2020 st model? Order guide seems to indicate this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Detuned 3.0 vs ST

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Does the 2020 explorer platinum get the same engine as the 2020 st model? Order guide seems to indicate this.
blwnsmoke is correct. If you do a Build and Price on the vehicles you will see that the ST gets a 3.0L 400 HP engine while the Platinum gets the 3.0L 365 HP engine.

Peter

Carleton Wu

Reaction score
City, State
Broadview Heights
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 BMW X1
Isn't platinum the most expensive trim? Why wouldn't they do the 400HP EcoBoost?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Isn't platinum the most expensive trim? Why wouldn't they do the 400HP EcoBoost?
Yes it is but the Sport is a 'Sport'! Why would the Platinum need a 400 HP engine?

Peter

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

Platinum is the highest trim but is known for a more luxurious ride.

The ST is the Sport model which is known for performance. It is designed to handle better, corner better, stop better and well.. go faster.

The only thing the Platinum has over the ST is a more plush interior.

Ima DingBat

Reaction score
City, State
ChocolateTown - USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Does anyone know if the 2020 Platinum engine can be "re-tuned" to regain some or all of the performance differential with the 2020 ST?

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
Does anyone know if the 2020 Platinum engine can be "re-tuned" to regain some or all of the performance differential with the 2020 ST?

Considering production hasn't even started at CAP, the only way to know that is if you knew one of the engineers who worked on it.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think so. Even if it was possible, you'd have a brand new engine with no warranty on it. Not sure if that is worth a gain of 35 HP.

Peter

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think so. Even if it was possible, you'd have a brand new engine with no warranty on it. Not sure if that is worth a gain of 35 HP.

Peter

If the difference between the engines is the tuning, like how the limited and platinum trims are on the 4th gen expedition, I would think it definitely could and would be done in short order.

Now, whether or not its worth doing to a brand new engine is a different matter altogether. Especially considering how horsepower only means so much without the requisite amount of torque to put it on the road.

As Bob Lutz once said, "Americans buy horsepower, but drive torque"

Ima DingBat

Reaction score
City, State
ChocolateTown - USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Thanks for the replies. I agree that if "re-tuning" would void my warranty, then it's out of the question. Thanks again.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
If the difference between the engines is the tuning, like how the limited and platinum trims are on the 4th gen expedition, I would think it definitely could and would be done in short order.

Now, whether or not its worth doing to a brand new engine is a different matter altogether. Especially considering how horsepower only means so much without the requisite amount of torque to put it on the road.

As Bob Lutz once said, "Americans buy horsepower, but drive torque"

You can not retune an engine by Ford or a dealer that doesn't belong. When you hook the vehicle up and it reads the VIN, it only allows programming for whatever the original configuration was.

That isn't to say you cant go aftermarket with tuning but then risk your warranty.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for the replies. I agree that if "re-tuning" would void my warranty, then it's out of the question. Thanks again.

If you want more plush and upscale, go platinum.. if you want Sport and handling, go ST. You will not have both.

Flying68

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ex Ownr 12 Explr Lmtd AWD
If you want more plush and upscale, go platinum.. if you want Sport and handling, go ST. You will not have both.
Or get an Aviator if you do want both.

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
You can not retune an engine by Ford or a dealer that doesn't belong. When you hook the vehicle up and it reads the VIN, it only allows programming for whatever the original configuration was.

That isn't to say you cant go aftermarket with tuning but then risk your warranty.

Right, sorry. I should've clarified I was speaking only of aftermarket. The Expedition comparison was simply to show how trims differ by engine tuning only.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Right, sorry. I should've clarified I was speaking only of aftermarket. The Expedition comparison was simply to show how trims differ by engine tuning only.

I plan on tuning mine as soon as I get it. But I also am aware of the potential warranty denial if the engine goes boom.

Napalm

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
If they do like past history - the engine is actually the same - but the exhaust and intake tracks might not be.

Especially the exhaust. so that the platinum is that touch quieter. No growl, no turbo noise, no blips. And yes a different engine map.

Hence the 35HP difference. but mechanically the exact same engine.

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT

I'm with you. Fusion Sport gets 2.7 EcoBoost, Fusion Platinum gets 2.0 EcoBoost. Makes no sense at all. Throw the high output engine into the highest luxury trim as well. Otherwise, why not offer the biggest engine in the cheapest trim as well? Just like the old days. I don't really want to pay for any of the luxury/electronics junk.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I think some are missing the point and why the Sport is called the 'Sport'. Hence the more powerful engine to go along with the special tuning of the suspension and other features not available on the other trims.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Exactly what Peter said. They Sport gets the highest output and better handling features (cornering, acceleration, braking, 0-60, 0-100 etc). The Plstinum is more a gussied up Limited (more luxury, smoother ride) etc. You dont get both and it makes sense to me.