Engine hangs at 3000 RPM in park or neutral | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine hangs at 3000 RPM in park or neutral

robertaccio

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
2002 Explorer Sport Trac V6 4.0 Liter. Truck runs fine on the road and tows motos with no issues. But sitting in the driveway in park or neutral she hangs, will not go above and sputters at @ 3000 RPM anyone have an answer? O2 sensor, TPS, air leak, etc etc ? Normal? Thanks R

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Corky,
OK but add on, if I jump in it right now put it drive and haul arse she will go right up the tach and the motor will rev to the redline under foot to the floor acceleration. So under normal driving (in drive/gear) she seems to work perfectly, she only hangs and cuts out in neutral or park. If that is still a rev limiter is it like my motos, built into the ECU? or a seperate rpm sensors somewhere on the engine? Thanks R

The rev limiter can be bypassed with an SCT XCal tuner.

I understand that there is a built in computer Rev Limit @ 3000...

It saves the engine damage!

It's to keep people from revving the motor unnecessarily in park or neutral and blowing the engine. What reason could you have to want your engine above 3k RPMs in the driveway, anyway?

Thanks I am happy with that 3k park/neutral limiter answer. I had a feeling that was the case. As for revving in the driveway, I just noticed it after I was charging my AC system and just wanted to rev up with the compressor clicked in, nothing needed it just was noticed when I did it a few weeks ago. Thanks you all for the answer and responses.
I just fixed my rough idle issue with a new vacuum hose this morning and revisited that 3k rev thing when playing around. Now just gotta get that check engine light out.....

Mine actually goes higher now. I assume the new muffler and drop in K&N have something to do with it since I have done nothing else that would affect it. Has anyone else experienced that?

Mine actually goes higher now. I assume the new muffler and drop in K&N have something to do with it since I have done nothing else that would affect it. Has anyone else experienced that?

Dat don't make no sence!! :D

I know, but there's nothing else I've done to the powertrain. It will actually go up to about 3,400 to 3,600 RPMs. Just an observation I can't explain.

I just imagine it has something to do with the 147 rwhp I gained from the K&N and muffler. :D

I assume it goes without saying that you also installed "The Tornado" at the same time. :thumbsup:That is probably where the biggest HP increase came from. :rolleyes:

Oooooops! Sorry!

Back