Engine Hesitation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Hesitation

JJC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLS
I get engine hesitation on acceleration from a stop on my 98 Explorer 5.0l. I have previously replaced egr line, egr solenoid, egr valve gasket, and ignition coils. From what I have read on TSBs about my rig, it`s caused by a bad fuel pump, but I would like other opinions before I start throwing money at it.

Update: I just did some driving around, and noticed the hesitation was no longer there even when accelerating hard. I think replacing the coils fixed it. Will update if things change.

Update: It`s still hesitating the same way it did before. We tested the fuel pressure and it was normal.

Update: I replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires. The ones I pulled out I`m pretty sure were the originals. I have felt no more hesitation since.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Test your fuel pressure at the rail.

If you have a 1998 on it's original fuel pump (and have anywhere around 170,000-200,000+ miles on it you should seriously consider replacing the fuel pump, even it the coil fixed your hesitation. All 6 of my Explorers/Mountaineers started having fuel pump problems at this mileage. The brushes in the pump motor just eventually wear out. If you can replace the pump yourself, you can get a quality replacement pump on eBay for around $50-$60. You'll also want to get a new strainer sock and fuel filter, so figure $80-$90 all in. I've use Bosch fuel pumps exclusively and have found they work great.

Tip: Don't cheap-out a buy a $20 fuel pump. They're not exactly fun to change.

If you have a 1998 on it's original fuel pump (and have anywhere around 170,000-200,000+ miles on it you should seriously consider replacing the fuel pump, even it the coil fixed your hesitation. All 6 of my Explorers/Mountaineers started having fuel pump problems at this mileage. The brushes in the pump motor just eventually wear out. If you can replace the pump yourself, you can get a quality replacement pump on eBay for around $50-$60. You'll also want to get a new strainer sock and fuel filter, so figure $80-$90 all in. I've use Bosch fuel pumps exclusively and have found they work great.

Tip: Don't cheap-out a buy a $20 fuel pump. They're not exactly fun to change.
Mine only has 128000 miles on it, but thanks.

Still a 20 year old pump. Definitely grab a pressure tester and see what it says.

Back