Engine install issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00Ram25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer
Hi eveeyone, just joined the site and am hoping for a little help with my issue...

2006 explorer 4x4 4.0L sohc...

Im doing an engine swap, old engine is out and new (used) engine it in on the mounts and 4 bell housing started. All bolts are loose to allow for some wiggle room. I thought i may be able to spin the crank from this point to line up the torque converter studs. Problem is the crank won't budge. Is it possible that the flywheel is binding on the converter? This is the first engine ive done that has studs on the converter rather than threaded holes. And info or direction on this would be extremely helpful! I need to get this figured out asap. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull the plugs and the crank should turn. if i Remember right I used a screw driver on the flex plate, but that was a while ago.

I will give that a try this evening when I get home. Will let you know what happens. Thanks

pull the plugs and the crank should turn. if i Remember right I used a screw driver on the flex plate, but that was a while ago.

Ok, i was just able to get back to this thing, i.pulled all the plugs and the crank still does not turn for some reason. Will not budge. The flywheel has to be binding somewhere some how. Any ideas? Really dont want to pull this thing back out if i dont have to. Thanks

Did the TQ go out maybe ? Probably you did not touch it but I wonder if it's set all the way in.

Well I got it. The flywheel was sitting tight on the converter studs. I took all the bell housing bolts back out and pushed the engine forward with a pry bar while turning the converter to line up the studs and holes. Popped right into place and trans went right onto pins. Good stuff. Thanks for your input. I may have other questions before this is done!

Back