Engine just died.....then ran fine after restarted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine just died.....then ran fine after restarted

nova801428

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ford Ranger
I started it as I usually do. I let it warm up like a minute before I start moving. I went like a 1/4 mile and my engine just died. I tried restarting it but nothing. I couldn't hear my fuel pumps kick on so I assumed my battery wasn't working. I then messed with the battery cables and they were tight, but my head lights were working great. A couple minutes passed and I got in and it started. I drove it like 2 miles after and 20 burn outs later and redlines it ran just fine. So, I am thinking since I always run low on gas (right now it's at half...well that would probably mean 1/3 of a tank since the gauges are crap) it is starting to screw up the fuel pumps. What do you think? I am going to seriously doubt that a wire came loose then reconnected again after sitting. Or, I guess it could be the stupid icm, but that was replaced 6 months ago. What do you think?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i would highly suggest replacing the negative cable...i would do both cables though myself...;)

Fuel filter, especially if you run tank low all the time more chit gets into the filter quicker. I a$$ume that we're working on your 88 2.9 manual Ranger??? If yes, TFI ignition module on backside of distributor could be going bad. You should always carry a spare one of these and the special thin wall socket driver to change it!

...i would highly suggest replacing the negative cable...i would do both cables though myself...

I will, I replaced my + one awhile ago then replaced the end with a replaceable one (crappy). My - one is due. Thanks

Fuel filter, especially if you run tank low all the time more chit gets into the filter quicker. I a$$ume that we're working on your 88 2.9 manual Ranger??? If yes, TFI ignition module on backside of distributor could be going bad. You should always carry a spare one of these and the special thin wall socket driver to change it!

This is on my 86 Ranger. I don't think fuel filter, because I could not hear my pumps working. And, I already replaced both of them. Yes. I should carry a spare. Thanks

...those replacable ends are for temporary fix only...they help corrosion to build deep inside the cables...they are great temporarily till you can get a set of cables...;)

Yes very true. But, think about this and why it can't be cables. How could the cable be bad if my engine dies and I can't hear my fuel pumps kicking on, and, how come it can crank over if the cables are bad?

I have 2 extra relays, I might try that. I am going to pull the codes and see what they say....thanks

Yes very true. But, think about this and why it can't be cables. How could the cable be bad if my engine dies and I can't hear my fuel pumps kicking on, and, how come it can crank over if the cables are bad?

I have 2 extra relays, I might try that. I am going to pull the codes and see what they say....thanks

That's why I said fp relay. ;)

..your info stated your truck died and you could not hear the fuel pumps...you played with the cables, waited a few minutes then tried again and it started...

...i think you answered all your questions in your first post, unless i read it wrong...:scratch:

Well, when it died I tried restarting it a couple of times when I was rolling and I listened for the fuel pumps and did not hear them. Then, I got out and looked at the cables and they were tight and looked fine...and they were working. I would have thought cables too but my fuel pumps did not kick on, and my starter worked, so that ruled it out. Thanks anyway.

Well, when it died I tried restarting it a couple of times when I was rolling and I listened for the fuel pumps and did not hear them. Then, I got out and looked at the cables and they were tight and looked fine...and they were working. I would have thought cables too but my fuel pumps did not kick on, and my starter worked, so that ruled it out. Thanks anyway.

So waht did you find out? Is it fixed?

Yes, it is fixed....I think. Anyway. The wire that goes off of the fuel pump relay to the fuel pumps was not working. It came out of the inertia switch with power but had no power at the other side. I was taking off the wire loom and found a ground wire that was half off. Put that back on and it worked. I am still not sure if that was the problem since I don't know how that has anything to do with the wire that goes from the relay to the pumps. But hey, it is working now. And, if that was the problem then it is fixed. If not, then, I will be cutting that wire at both ends and replacing it with my own. Thanks for the help!!!

Back