Engine keeps cutting out | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Engine keeps cutting out

Dan R

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger 3L RWD
I have a very annoying problem. Engine starts up and runs well. Then after about 10 min starts to cut out. Either when moving when it hiccups and restarts or when idling when it can be immediately restarted. The Check Engine light flickers on and off (1993 model OBD I). The voltmeter flickers a bit. I have replaced the fuel pump inertia switch and PCM relay to no effect. I have the alternator voltage regulator on order. Grounds have been checked. Anything else I should be looking at?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dora 1993

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Does it stutter when you try and drive it

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Carefully remove the ECM, take off the cover and look for leaking, swollen capacitors, and/or bad solder joints on the circuit board. These can be repaired.

Cheddar Dan

Reaction score
City, State
White Pine, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
You might want to double clean your MAF if you haven't already.
Good luck!

Dan R

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger 3L RWD
I cleaned the MAF, didn't look dirty. I did notice that one of the electrical connector pins was white with corrosion. Cleaned it up put Noalox on the pins and it runs as before. This is odd as the connector is sealed with a rubber gasket but the corrosion was obvious. Thanks guys!