• Register Today It's free!

Engine Knocking - Rods?

OrganicRobot

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer XLT 4*4
2004 XLT 4.6L 168k, this video was from a cold start, not warmed up yet. Gets faster if you hit the accelerator. Haven't driven since noise started. Doesn't sound like any other videos I've seen, also doesn't sound like a cat or torque converter, but maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That doesn't sound good.

The first thing to do is pinpoint where the noise is occurring. IMO, the sound could be anything from a rod knock, bad roller rocker or even an exhaust manifold crack or leak. Definitely don't drive it, rev it too high or leave it running for too long.

Decided to try and narrow down the noise. Definitely coming from the driver's side. Hard to say if it was top or bottom but decided to pull the valve cover (broke the very back of it off 😞) and found one of the springs completely compressed, all of the others seem to be at about the same height. How many should be compressed at the same time?
1000001618.png

You can run it with the cover off. First feel the rollers to see if any play.

You can run it with the cover off. First feel the rollers to see if any play

You can run it with the cover off. First feel the rollers to see if any play.
Checked each rocker after rotating the crank a quarter turn and didn't find anything loose, at all. I'm fearing it's on the bottom end. Would it be difficult or even worth it to remove the oil pan and check for play on the rod bearings? Thanks

Checked each rocker after rotating the crank a quarter turn and didn't find anything loose, at all. I'm fearing it's on the bottom end. Would it be difficult or even worth it to remove the oil pan and check for play on the rod bearings? Thanks
It would be a pain if it’s 4wd.

Back