• Register Today It's free!

Engine light after getting gas

jsbaker

Reaction score
City, State
La Porte, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
Hi all and thanks in advance ofr any help you can provide.

I have a 2002 XLS which I bought about 3 weeks ago. It has the 4.0 and about 92,000 miles. Exactly two weeks ago today I got some gas ($8) late in the evening. I drove about 20 miles to pick up a friend and on the way back the engine light came on. The truck was running and driving fine. We stopped at the store and light came back on when we restarted the truck. The next morning the light was off. Today I got gas ($20) and about 3 or 4 miles down the road the light came on again. I can't take it to Autozone until after work to get the light checked, assuming it is still on when I leave work. Autozone will not check it if the light is not on when you get to the store. We had to stop on the way to work so I turned the truck off and checked the gas cap and of course it did no good. Has anyone heard of the light coming on in relation to getting gas? Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 things. Don't get gas with truck running or your gas cap is not sealing correctly.

Buy a new cap. Its probably worn and doesn't seal right.

So here's an update. I took it to autozone and got the code read, forgot the number (P0153??) but it was passenger front oxygen sensor. The next day my brother in law put in about 5 gallons of gas and when he brought the X back the light was off. Filled it up with gas on Monday and everything was ok until today. This morning about 5 minutes into the drive to work the light comes on again, I have not touched the gas cap since Monday and the gauge reads between 1/2 and 3/4. I was going to o the O2 sensor this weekend but now we have to see what the ligth says this time.

Back