• Register Today It's free!

Engine light on

Vinniety

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester county, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
Well i have been reading and searching for a day or two on what can give me a code stating the truck is running to lean. Let me start off from the beginning.

CEL came on the day before i had scheduled a car inspection. I went to the mechanic who is my friend to see if he can run the codes so i can fix it myself. The codes stated running lean and he said before you start changing things you might want to do a injector cleanup. So we did i put it on his machine and ran it through for about an hour. The truck runs even more better now then before more smoother. He reset the light and i went on my way. He told me drive it for a few days and lets see if we get lucky. Well i guess i didnt light was on this morning. I just bought a OBD2 scanner which i will get in a few days but just trying to get as much info as possible for what i should be expecting. From my searching it seems MAS. I did spray the intake and the vac lines to see if i have any vac leak and nothing. the truck runs great.

its a 2000 sport with 97k miles on the OHV motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What code, EXACTLY comes up? Should be Pxxxx. Start there and we'll be happy to help.

What code, EXACTLY comes up? Should be Pxxxx. Start there and we'll be happy to help.

I should be getting my OBD2 scanner tomorrow or monday in the mail. Once i get it i will post up the codes. I do remember it saying that i was running to lean but i didnt write down the codes. Once the code came up and the check engine ligt was on i didnt have to much time so i just told him i will come back once i troubleshoot it myself when i get my scanner. I need to get an inspection sticker as soon as i can. I will post on this thread and go from there thanks GIJOECAM! :thumbsup:

I should be getting my OBD2 scanner tomorrow or monday in the mail. Once i get it i will post up the codes. I do remember it saying that i was running to lean but i didnt write down the codes. Once the code came up and the check engine ligt was on i didnt have to much time so i just told him i will come back once i troubleshoot it myself when i get my scanner. I need to get an inspection sticker as soon as i can. I will post on this thread and go from there thanks GIJOECAM! :thumbsup:

Okay i finally got the obd 2 scanner and these are the codes.

P0171 system too lean bank 1
P0174 system too lean bank 2

I do not have a vacumm leak, that i already checked out. Maybe the O2 sensor. I was thinking the scanner would tell me what is bad instead of a generic response like system too lean. What the hell can that be???

thanks

Too Lean codes can be caused by one of two things: Too much air (generally from a vacuum leak) or too little fuel (fuel pressure regulator bad, fuel pump weak, fuel filter plugged, etc). Typically on the OHV, it's a vacuum leak from one of the vacuum trees under the hood.... Carefully check all your lines under the hood... there are a TON of 'em.

I suspect it could also be caused by a bad EGR tube or EGR valve, but don't quote me on that either.... IIRC, there's a stickie floating around in one of the forums for the best ways to troubleshoot those two particular codes.

Sorry I can't be much more help than that... Mine popped those codes a couple weeks ago, but it's a different engine with a lower intake manifold gasket leak... common issue with the SOHC, but completely inapplicable to your problem.

Good luck!

Well i cleaned out the intake, installed a new PCV valve and double checked for a vacumm leak and nothing. I cant believe the light is on it runs so good except for very bad gas MPG which i know there is still something wrong. I also cleaned out the mass air flow sensor when i installed a new air filter. I have a new gas filter which is going in this weekend. I hope that does something.

Anything else besides throwing money at it? What have others replaced with lcuk?

I just spoke to a friend of mine who owns his own shop and stated most likely it is a vac leak. I told him i couldnt find one so i am going to stop by there tomorrow to change the gas filter and see if he can find it. I keep you posted.

If he has an ultrasonic leak detector he should be able to localize it pretty quickly.

a 171 and 174 usually point to a intake gasket issue

-Drew

I also have a big problem with my 1998 sport. It has the 4.0L V6 SOHC and the check engine light wont go off. The code coming up is for a vacuum leak.

Here is my story...
A little over a year ago the throttle body was taken off. Ever since then theres been a vacuum leak. Even with the leak back then, the car ran great. It idled smooth and still had power but i knew there was a leak because i could hear it. I went to a mechanic to look for the torque specs for the four throttle body bolts but he informed me that there were none for that part of my engine. After that, the car's performance started to deteriorate but the check engine light went off. A couple of months later, the light came back on. So, i went to a local ford dealer and bought a new o-ring. I also bought a new one of those thick hard plastic gaskets that goes in front of it. I put both on and still had no success. Every time i tighten the four TB bolts the leak seems to get smaller but as time goes on, it seems like it gets bigger. It runs terrible now. It stalls on cold morning start-ups and idles really rough. When i drive, the engine sounds like theres something rattling.

I of course failed inspection and I'm way overdue for a re-inspection. This problem won't seem to go away and I'm desparate for help.

a 171 and 174 usually point to a intake gasket issue

-Drew

From what i have read the SOHC are the motors that have the intake leak not the OHV motors which is the one i have. Anyway I changed the gas filter, which was a ***** and reset the cjeck engine light to see what happens and three days later exactly three days later the light came back on. :mad: I will continue to check for a intake leak but i heard maybe trying the fuel pressure regulator. I have to get max 12-13 mpg. It is horrible on gas.

What do you guys think about trying that and if so where can i get one. I tried rockauto and it couldnt bring up the part for my truck.

2000 X sport

Mine just started doing the same thing, I got brand new gaskets on my lower intake though. Parts store I had the codes scanned at said O2 sensors. First they actually said my oil which I shook my head at him then the manager said o2 sensors...

Codes P0171 and 174

I too have the same problem with my 96 OHV. So far I have replaced intake gaskets and two days ago I replaced the fuel filter. I will give it a few days to see what happens, but I think that mileage has increased slightly....next I will probably go with fuel regulator. It gives me poor gas mileage, low 10's, although Chicago driving doesn't help any.

Mines been down on gas milage too ever since I replaced the trans, during which I replaced the gaskets on the upper intake manifold and re wrapped all my wiring. Car was fine for 2weeksish and now this code. Going to try replacing the fuel filter tomorrow.

Well still have the CEL on and i cant find any vacumm leaks. I cant find anyone local that has the vaccum leak tester i forgot the name of it so im stuck with these same codes. The only thing i did notice lately is that if i am going up a hill at about 35-40 at that steady speed I will get a slight miss once and then thats it. Like it cant hold the speed at that low RPM and pull the weight.

Once again this is the OHV motor. The truck does have 100K miles so maybe the O2 sensors are just bad. Or maybe the fuel regulator.

Dam this sucks.

Well i have no vac leak. My friend who has the vac leak tester can not find any leaks and either can i. Last week i had to drive to P.A from new york so the night before i went over the truck. CHecked all the fluids rotated the tires and made sure tire pressure was correct. I then did another seafoam through intake. Not much smoke at all but was happy i ran it. I then hooked up my scanner and reset the light. Took off the following morning and filled up the tank with regular unleaded. I also added a can of chevron injector cleaner. Drove 145miles doing about 70-75 with no problem. Did what i had to do and started to drive back. When i hit new jersey i did about 225 miles i was low on gas, less then a quarter. WOW that wasnt GOOD at all on gas mileage. So anyway went home and got a call that i needed to go back again the following morning. THe following morning I Started the truck and headed out again. The truck was running good and no check engine light. The next time i filled up for gas i noticed that i hit 275 on a full tank. Better then the first run. No check engine light on and did about 550 miles in total. I was happy the light didnt come on. So now it is wednesday go start the truck to go to the train and BANG stupid CEL is back on.

Just like a few people have stated dont throw money at the truck and start changing things unless you are sure but you know what i am stuck right now. I guess i need to to get this issue resolved. My truck has 101k miles and i am not sure if o2 sensors have ever been changed. Should i bite my tongue and just change them. I have cleaned out the IAC, checked the plugs and wires, ran seafoam, check for vac leak and i think i have no luck unless i try to change things out example o2 sensors. The truck runs good except for a minor miss every once and a while going up a hill at about 35mph. Besides that it starts and runs.

Anything else guys would be greatly appreciate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back