• Register Today It's free!

Engine Light

William Latimer

Reaction score
City, State
Lindale, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010, Explore Sport Trac
I have a 2010 Sport Trac XLT with 100,500 miles. Approx. a week ago the gas cap light appeared on my dash speedometer area. I tried taking the cap off and on several times but the light stayed on. Suddenly and unexpectedly, 3 days later the gas cap light went out without any fixes. About two or three days later my engine light came on. There are no new noises from the vehicle and it did not handle or drive differently then prior to the the engine light going on. A little maintenance background; I bought the truck used with 94k miles and in very good shape mechanically. I have had two oil changes since I purchased it, flushed/refilled transmission fluid, brake fluids and radiator. The power steering flush/refill is pending. Automated mpg calculator states 19.6 mpg, so I believe plugs are good. Air filter, brakes inspected by mechanic & pass inspection.
I take my vehicle to my mechanic and they diagnose the problem as an emission leak through a smoke test. A day later I get my vehicle back with a repair bill replacing the vapor canister at or near the gas tank. I drive home (about 25 miles) and drive it for a couple of short trips around town (maybe 60 miles) during the following 3 days. On the fourth day I take a short trip and the engine light comes back on. The next day I take the vehicle back to the mechanic and they replace the gas cap & take it on 4 test drives and no engine light. I drive the vehicle home and drive it 10 miles the following day and the engine light goes back on.
Any of you mechanics or mechanically inclined have any ideas what the issue(s) might be?

UPDATE:
Since the first post, which no one has provided any comments to, my instruments have been going crazy. I still have the engine light on, the fuel cap light goes on and off by itself at various intervals. The fuel gauge has started to go to empty with a full tank or any amount of fuel in the tank and will gradually return to the current fuel lever over a 30-45 min driving period. The miles til empty will go to zero and gradually increase with driving time as well. The trip A and B don't seem to be affected by what's going on. Taking it back to the mechanic to try and figure this out. Any ideas or previous experiences with anything like this would be a huge help. Additionally, my "change engine oil" light comes on even though I changed my oil approx. 1800 miles prior and I have approx 3200 miles before the oil needs changing.

Back