Engine maintenance (Carbon build up etc), Gas Additives | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine maintenance (Carbon build up etc), Gas Additives

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So I've been studying about fuel quality and trying to find out what is best for the car like Shell or BP, does it really make a difference what brand of gasoline I pump? The only thing should be different is the additives right? I wonder if depending on which brand of gasoline would affect my engine's lifespan and MPGs.

I also am having the urge to buy injector cleaners, fuel additives to remove carbon from the system. Is there really a need for all those? If I do, at what mileage intervals should I do it in?

I've never really used those on my 95 Explorer so I'm new to this and I'm not sure about if it's really needed at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is so much debate over additives its mind boggling. most car manufacturers recommend NOT using additives in your crankcases or fuel. i dont use additives myself, motor oil is made so well these days, as long as you are up to date with all of your regular maint. you should be good. however, if you got your rig used, and are not sure of its service history, additives might help. i should say that i do use an engine flush that i pour into the crank case and run for a few minutes before draining the oil. i do this every other oil change. just my honest opinion, im not a mechanical guru by no stretch, but i put a ton of miles on my cars and trucks, and this approach has always worked for me.

I agree with LONO100. I wouldn't put any additives in your tank. As long as you buy decent gas and change your fuel filter at the recommended intervals I wouldn't worry.

I agree with LONO100. I wouldn't put any additives in your tank. As long as you buy decent gas and change your fuel filter at the recommended intervals I wouldn't worry.

Sweet thanks guys. I guess the money I could be using buying additives could be going towards more gas. :)

Don't forget the air filter, where most of the harmful motor oil contaminants come from.

I heard that a tanker carrying 7000 - 8000 gallons of gasoline contains only a small amount of additive amounting to like 12 ounces or so. In reality then, it shouldn't matter where a person fuels. Also, gasoline is regulated to be environmentally sound so major differences shouldn't occur between brands, such as Sunoco vs. BP vs. Shell. Next, I know in most climates that there is a difference between winter and summer blend, and in winter gas mileage isn't as good. I also heard that consistency pays off by constantly fueling with one brand, such as Shell. Last, additives are not recommended by most automakers, but I would be led to believe that with the variety and inconsistent claims then it is hard to verify effectiveness and quality. I believe in moderation, and I will add a bottle of Lucas cleaner to my gas tank every 10,000 miles or so, but I don't do this religiously every other oil change or anything. I have owned an 08' 3.0L V6 Ranger that now has nearly 60,000 miles, and my wife drives an 07' 3.5 L V6 Ford Edge with 65,000 miles. Both vehicles are taken to quick-lubes for oil changes every 3000 - 4500 miles, or so. I always fill my Ranger with Shell gasoline (even though the fuel cap says, "Ford prefers BP". I feel my truck lags with anything else. The Edge with the beefier engine doesn't seem to be as affected by lag, so whatever is cheapest I use -- whether it is Sunoco, Speedway (Marathon subsidiary), or Shell. When I had my leased 04 Ranger 4*4, I actually kept track of where I fueled and the oil changes I performed. After a year or two, I ran the numbers into a spreadsheet, and I found that the vehicle averaged 19.5 mpg highway. There were no differences where I fueled or what oil I used, and most would argue that "quality fuel" and "quality oil with filter change" and "duration of oil change" is what makes a difference. I'm sure it helps not to beat on a vehicle either. I don't accelerate quickly, and I anticipate stop-lights, and such. I would be interested to see the real-world mileage both vehicles get, but I figure there really isn't much that I can do about it anyway. Hope this helps.

I don't think you need any fuel additives, as long as you are running a quality fuel, and stay diligent on your scheduled maintenance.

With that said, I do use the Chevron w/Techron fuel system cleaner in both my Porsches. Always done prior to winter hibernation. About 300-500 miles prior to storage, I run the Techron through the full tank. Then re-fill with fresh fuel, and finally SCHEDULE MY YEAR END OIL CHANGE. This final step is key (and ultra conservative, I know). Works for me. And I feel good about it.:)

Don't really think the Explorer needs it. My prior Eddie Bauer had 120,000 miles in 3.5 years. Never skipped a beat in all those miles. Great power, and expected MPG's. Never used any fuel ststem cleaner.

I don't think the new Explorers have a serviceable fuel filter, like in prior models. I re-check my Owner's Manual today.

Many new vehicles today have the fuel filter intergrated into the fuel tank/pump. Making then unserviceable from a scheduled maintenance prespective.

I guess someone could always put an in-line filter on the Explorer. But I have no clue how/where or the effect on the fuel pressure and proper delivery.

So how do folks feel about using a gas additive? if so what? & how often?

Mildot, I have moved your post to this thread.

I don't see any reason to add gas additives at all. Here is what your Owner's Guide says;

Do not use:
• fuels containing more than 85% ethanol or E-100 fuel
• fuels containing methanol
• fuels containing metallic based additives, including manganese-based
compounds
• fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl
manganese tricarbonyl (MMT)
• leaded-fuel (The use of leaded fuel is prohibited by law)
Note: Use of any fuel other than recommended fuel can cause
powertrain damage, impair the emission control system or cause loss of
vehicle performance. Any damage to a vehicle that is caused by the use
of fuel not recommended will not be covered under warranty.

Peter

Back