• Register Today It's free!

Engine Misfiring

Rngrs3910

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Explorer V8EB Edition
My car is at the local dealership having a diagnostic cun of the engine and computer. Here's the story:

I dropped my explorer off yesterday morning to have my brakes done. Had front pads and rotors replaced. Inspection also found that i had a leaky pinion, and a loose lower ball joint. I pickced it up last night after all was taken care of and on the way home i stopped for groceries. On the way home from that i started the car and the ignition sounded funny. The car then proceeded to shake when i was in drive but at a stop the next 1/4 mile home. I left it in the drive way and when i checked it in the morning the shake was gone. I started driving to work and when i hopped on the highway i stepped on the gas, it didnt go, and then the check engine light started blinking. I pulled over checked the manual, and it said my engine was probably misfiring. Brought it back to the dealer immediately.

So the question for one of you car experts: Is there any way that the work they did yesterday (front brakes, leaking pinion, loose ball joint, overall inspection of fluids, filters, etc.) could have lead to the misfiring?

I've got a warranty which should cover most of it, but I'll be on the hook for the deductible and the diagnostic unless the shop is somehow responsible.

Quick responses would be a big help!

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like somethings not gettin a good connection, funny how it started doin this after the dealer? Good luck

Update: Turns out water have gotten into one of the valves, which shorted out the spark plug, so I need to replace the plug and the coil. Total price is $365. Anyone have any idea how water would have gotten into my engine?

what dealer was this in boston? i used sentry ford when i was on vacation in boston over the summer and they ripped me off for 4 tires. i had a blowout on the way up there and needed tires anyway. they seem very shady there.

That's the one! Actually, I 've tried a few of the dealers around Boston for various parts and servicing, and they've all seemed to have their moments. Whether its being unhelpful on the phone or pushing servicing that isn't required. Guess thats just their MO. I had a good experience with Sentry when I got my radiator replaced, but these event have tarnished that a little.

Update: Turns out water have gotten into one of the valves, which shorted out the spark plug, so I need to replace the plug and the coil. Total price is $365. Anyone have any idea how water would have gotten into my engine?

That's a crock of ****. They're scamming you. God, I love dealers like them. lol You can do it yourself and save $300. I check all the connections and around the intake assembly for loose connections. They may have left something loose or unplugged when they did a routine maintenance check. Then find a autoshop that does free code scans and do it yourself. I've never heard $365 to change one plug and cop. Tell the stealership to f*ckoff.

BTW. If you decided to change the plug, get the special retractor tool incase the plug breaks.

Back