Engine Noise, Chain and lifter Photo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Noise, Chain and lifter Photo

carbizindio

Reaction score
City, State
indio, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford exp 4.6 4x4
I'm trying to diagnose an engine noise. my stethoscope pinpointed it to the passenger side bank of the valve train towards the front of the engine. If the stethoscope was pointed on a valve cover bolt the noise would be ear shattering loud. You can only hear the nose at a stop revved up between 750-1000 rpm or a no load rpm before torque converter lockup. When there is any slight load on the engine the noise goes away.

I didn't see any obvious signs of valve train failure. I don't have much experience with fords so I'm wondering if any one see's some thing out of the norm with these photos.

The timing chain tensioner is keeping tension on the chain but I do see slack between the top chain guide, maybe the noise I'm hearing is the chain slapping against the guide? The noise did sound more metallic so I'm not sure if this is the case.
1-1.jpg

I saw some scoring on the timing chain sprocket.
2-1.jpg

Lifter slightly collapsed?
3-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like normal cam phaser operation. Do a google search , and a forum search. There are even you tube videos about it. Ford has tsb about it.

Great thanks, looks like alldata has failed me again. The only TSB they have is regarding a ticking noise due to a stuck lash adjuster.

google" ssm 21217 " thats the ford special service message regarding vct ticking

Thanks, its very interesting reading about this issue. It's amazing that the internal impact making this noise hasn't caused major damage over time and is considered normal. I wish I found this info before taking the valve cover off but its better being on the safe side.

Hard to believe that its normal. When they told me and showed me the bulletin I went on a search and compared many 3 valve v8s and they all do it.

I'm trying to diagnose an engine noise. my stethoscope pinpointed it to the passenger side bank of the valve train towards the front of the engine. If the stethoscope was pointed on a valve cover bolt the noise would be ear shattering loud. You can only hear the nose at a stop revved up between 750-1000 rpm or a no load rpm before torque converter lockup. When there is any slight load on the engine the noise goes away.

I didn't see any obvious signs of valve train failure. I don't have much experience with fords so I'm wondering if any one see's some thing out of the norm with these photos.

The timing chain tensioner is keeping tension on the chain but I do see slack between the top chain guide, maybe the noise I'm hearing is the chain slapping against the guide? The noise did sound more metallic so I'm not sure if this is the case.
View attachment 263512

View attachment 263513

View attachment 263514
that's exactly how my 08 v8 inside look like,i'm chassing a tapping noise on cold start on the pass side,it sounds like the chain but i don't think since all the guide are there

View attachment 263512

View attachment 263513

View attachment 263514
did you fix the truck?how did you do it?

Back