• Register Today It's free!

Engine noise ( Slight tapping )

RichardOdie

Reaction score
City, State
Abbotsford Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1991 XLT
After i leave my truck for a couple of days and start it up it makes a slight tapping noise for a few minutes and the goes away i suspect it is coming from one of my lifters is this a problem with older explorers??

I don't know if it is more of a problem with explorers than any other vehicle. My ex doesn't have this noise but may last 2 dodges did(94 spirit, 2000 caravan). The niose you are describing sure sounds like lifter noise to me, for a while I cured it in my spirit with a can of engine flush prior to oil change and lucasoil addative with the new oil. However this is only a temporary fix, the lifters will get noisier and need replacing eventually.
Glen

Sounds like lifter tick (very common on these engines) if you goto explorer4x4.com(the main page for this site), there is a writeup on howto replace your lifters, but its more trouble than its worth, especially for a 1991. I use a bottle of seafoam every once in a while and that seems to take care of it for a while. Mine does it with a cold engine, even during the hot summer it makes some noise.

The most inexpensive and effective way to unstick a sticky lifter(if that's what it is), is to empty the oil, fill it with 3 liters of some cheap oil and 2 liters of diesel fuel. Start it up and let it run for 30-60 sec., drain well. Add 4 liters of oil and new filter and run for a minute or 2. Drain again and add regular oil along with some of that Lukas additive. Sounds like alot of oil and work, but it is extremely cheaper than changing lifters. Works most of the time. There are engine flushes out there, but none work any better than plain old diesel fuel!
Good luck
Peace

Back