• Register Today It's free!

Engine noise

Deb

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 auto 4x4 xlt
Hello i just joined. I have a 91 explorer 4x4 xlt auto with a 94 v6 4.0l pushrod engine 144,000km . Wondered if anyone could help with a problem. I have done some searching of my own but need some new opinions before taking it in to shop. I have a slight knock or clicking noise when it warms up and under acceleration. Sprayed carbon cleaner and did the engine treatment. It idles great and have good oil pressure and all systems seem normal. Has good power and all. Any ideas as to what the sypmtoms of lifter noise is? or what could it be? I remove spark plug#1 and the noise goes away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lazy lifter ;)

Take it to a shop and they can adjust it and the ticking will disappear.

I have the same problem with my 94 Explorer. When Im eccelerating up a hill the engine will start to knock. I've heard about the hydrotech chip helping the pinging of the engine so does anyone know anything about this.

Yeah most chips would eliminate that pinging

except... $400 bucks for so little? OBD-1 trucks see hardly any performance gains with a chip. But it will remove the Rev-limiter (Redline from 4200 rpm to 4700 rpm) and give you maybe a 15 hp gain when using 93 octane.

Spark knock or ping is quite common on these early 4.0 OHV's. If you've decarboned the cylinders, check into cleaning the MAF and tigthening the lower intake manifold bolts (both have been discussed quite extensively before). See the link to Singleton's site in the useful threads forum.

Back