• Register Today It's free!

Engine noise

dfournigault

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 99 XLT 5.0 V8 with 99,000 miles. I've noticed a clicking/ticking noise recently when I accelerate, especially when the engine is cold. Engine idles ok, and acceleration is ok. Quiets as engine warms, but doesn't completely go away. Have noticed some engine knock as well, but only during hard acceleration. I've not had the plugs replaced yet. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The early V8's had problems with cracking exhaust manifolds. Not as common on 99's, but sometimes happens. Makes a ticking noise.

Time for plugs - you can check it while doing those!

If you're going to do the plugs, you should do the wires as well, if they are original.

exploded99 said:
The early V8's had problems with cracking exhaust manifolds. Not as common on 99's, but sometimes happens. Makes a ticking noise.

Time for plugs - you can check it while doing those!
I've made an appointment to have complete engine diagnostics done to see what, if anything comes up. I will have them check that as well.

marragtop said:
If you're going to do the plugs, you should do the wires as well, if they are original.
I've made an appointment to have complete engine diagnostics done to see what, if anything comes up. I had the original wires replaced at around 55K, but it may be time again. The PCV valve hasn't been changed, and I'm wondering if anything will show up with the Mass Air Flow Sensor or EGR. I also wonder if the injectors are in need of cleaning... Thanks both for the replies. I post to a computer bulletin board and usually get ignored...

Back