engine noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Ridgefield CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 02 XLT 4x4
ive been having an noise coming from my engine for a while now i was recently in the shop to get body work done. I was told by the owner that there was a bearing that was going or something like that. And they would have to take the block apart to really see whats going on and i should either just junk the car or get a new (salvage yard) engine. I personally think he was looking to make a fast buck. I need some more opinions so take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBw7XlASEOY it shows the heat sheild shaking but i took it off and it's still making the noise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also would like to know where i can get an engine diagram

Damn.. :(
Cant tell what it is by the video but its not the heat shield.
It doesn't sound good that's for sure.

Does it sound like top end or lower end knocking?

Almost like the crank is hitting the oil pan?? Did you hit any rocks or curbs lately that could have dented it?
If you hold your hand on the oil pan can you feel it? (be careful of the cooling fan it will bit ya!)

Does it burn any oil?
Do you have oil pressure?

Just throwing some ideas out there...

hmm it sounds lower thats for sure and nah the oil pans perfect im not burning any oil and oil pressure is good. But it think its the left bank cause i disconnected the left cylinders and fired it up the right 4 are perfect

Damn.. :(
Cant tell what it is by the video but its not the heat shield.
It doesn't sound good that's for sure.

Does it sound like top end or lower end knocking?

Almost like the crank is hitting the oil pan?? Did you hit any rocks or curbs lately that could have dented it?
If you hold your hand on the oil pan can you feel it? (be careful of the cooling fan it will bit ya!)

Does it burn any oil?
Do you have oil pressure?

Just throwing some ideas out there...

well i took the valve covers off and took a look and it doesn't look like there is a problem over there

bump

first off im sorry....
i have had 2 4.6's with this exact problem. its bad rod knock. i would just get a junk yard engine. thats what i did. that sound is exactly as mine sounded. it only gets worse. mine got to the point where it would stall out if you let off the gas and was so loud you needed earplugs.

first off im sorry....
i have had 2 4.6's with this exact problem. its bad rod knock. i would just get a junk yard engine. thats what i did. that sound is exactly as mine sounded. it only gets worse. mine got to the point where it would stall out if you let off the gas and was so loud you needed earplugs.

Yeah I was thinking wrist pin...

Back