• Register Today It's free!

engine/oil pressure

cmsully

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
'94 Eddie Bauer and has been showing less oil pressure more and more. Do I need to remove the engine to replace the oil pump?

First check the oil pressure with a real guage, either electric or mechanical. Don't use the stock guage, even with the true guage mod. I'm a V8 guy so I'm not sure where a port for the guage is on the OHV block.

Then, make sure you have the correct oil weight. Its an easy mistake to make. Sometimes a clogged oil filter will drop oil pressure. Check the pressure right now, do a filter and oil change using a quality filter, and then check pressure again. If its bad then, you might have a problem.

Yes - the oil pump is in the oil pan, and the engine would need to be pulled. last resort!!

Pressures

With the engine warm, it should have about 20# idle and 40# at highway.

I'd add the following. Depending on your miles, it wouldnot be ususual for the oil pressure to trend low. THere is a noted problem with some Explorers to have a gunked up oil screen, causing low oil pressure. Inventive folks have figured out ways to saove that without an engine removal - one guy even laid under this explorer and found a way to remove the pan enough to get the the screen without pulling the engine. Of course pulling a high mileage engine to change the oil pumpo would be a questionable practice IMHO. Check out the appropriate info on this page. www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/exp.html .

Back