Engine Oil Recomendation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Oil Recomendation

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows. I'm certain this is a well beat horse of a topic but I'm in need of your...thoughts.

Since new, I have always used Motorcraft 10W30 oil in our '02 S/T and Ranger. No issues ( w/o opening the engines up) with either vehicle. +200K on both.

The "problem" I have with this oil is..... locating the stuff. I usually get it at Walmart as its about $4.40ish a Qt. BUT its a gamble if they have it when I need it. Thus I usually "stock" up when I go by a Walmart. Very few of the auto parts stores carry Motorcraft 10w30 and when they do it's $5-7 a Qt.

So... I'm considering changing to another brand. In the past I've used Quaker State and Penzoil. Both of these seem readily available at Walmart and the price is about $18ish a 5 Qt. container.

Can I get some input on what brand your using...and why.... The why is probably the biggest issue as IMHO the modern oils are...all the same.... quality wise. Enless you tear down an engine and check for gunk build up/wear/tear/ etc, I don't see how one can say one brand is better then the next.

Thanks, ptf18

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know 5w30 is what was specced. But if 10w30 was working for you, stick to it. Expecially if your in a warmer climate. Otherwise, just pick the brand you like. Quaker State and Pennzoil owned by same company, but may use different formulation.

Asking for opinions on which motor oil brand or weight you should use will get to at least 10 recommendations. The 4.0L SOHC engine spec'd by Ford for 5W30. I suppose 10W30 would be okay as long as the winter temps in your area don't get too cold.

I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30 in my 4.0L SOHC, change it at 6,000 mile/3-4 month intervals and I live in GA. I also use high quality oil filters (Motorcraft is my personal minimum filter requirement, but I believe Wix is even better). These are my opinions. 9 other's here will undoubtedly have their own opinions. When I tore my engine down at 200K+ there was no visible cylinder wall wear or ring-ridge. IDK what the PO used for the engine's first 14 years of service, but it did not appear that vehicle maintenance was a priority in frequency or lubricant/filter quality.

I use m1 5 30 and a motorcraft filter

Any synthetic 5w30 changed at higher than normal intervals.

Back