Engine oil temperature

2000StreetRod

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
In the book "How to Rebuild Your GM V-6 60 Degree Engine" author Tom Currao states:

"Other than leakage, the most common causes for oil consumption include sustained high-speed driving, failing to upshift at a reasonable engine speed, using an oil that's too light in viscosity, and too many short trips. Short trips can cause oil consumption because the engine doesn't warm up fully. This eventually causes the piston rings to stick in their grooves, impairing their ability to keep oil out of the combustion chamber and leading to oil burning."

I read on another forum a post by an engine mechanic stating that low engine oil temperatures result in the formation of sludge.

I've read elsewhere that the optimum conventional engine oil temperature range is 180 to 200 degrees. Recently I completed my installation of engine oil full-flow and bypass remote filters, coolers and temperature gauge http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247990.

I live only 2.5 miles from a shopping center that I frequently visit. When I start my Sport the first time for the day and drive to the shopping center the engine coolant reaches the thermostat temperature of 190 degrees but the engine oil only reaches about 130 degrees. Upon returning home the engine oil temperature has only increased to about 155 degrees. While I have not yet driven more than 15 miles at a time, I suspect that the two external oil coolers will maintain the oil temperature below 175 degrees.

I have purchased 5W30 full synthetic motor oil and plan to replace my conventional 10W30 with it in the next 200 miles. Should I be concerned that the engine oil temperature may never exceed 175 degrees?

Back