• Register Today It's free!

Engine Oil

expl0der8

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I know a lot of you use synthetic motor oil, but what kind do you use, and what benefits have you seen with switching over. I'm trying to decide if i should switch to synthetic or stay with regular oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am currently using Amsoil 2000 0w30 and its going on 20k miles. Thats a major benefit as well as the increase in gas mileage.

I am going to switch to 5w20 at the next change. This is in hope of better mileage yet.

Mobil 1 5w 30 Full Synth.
Well worth the extra few bucks per change.

Whatever full synthetic 5W30 is on sale at the time.

Aldive,
what kind of mileage increases have you seen with the synthetic? Also, are you 2 or 4wd?

I have 2wd.

The mileage went up from 5w30 Mobil 1 to Amsoil 0w30 and I hopwe even more with Amsoil 5w20. It has gone up about 2.4 MPG.

aldive, 20k on one oil change? holy crap... sure the old oil hasnt broken down yet? thermal viscosity breakdown is the reason why engines seize

Originally posted by jimabena74
aldive, 20k on one oil change? holy crap... sure the old oil hasnt broken down yet? thermal viscosity breakdown is the reason why engines seize

Amd thats exactly why I do analysis'.....

Originally posted by aldive
Amd thats exactly why I do analysis'.....

who analyzes it for you?

Originally posted by jimabena74

That's why you use synthetic instead of dino. It break down thermally. Usually the reason to change it is contamination. I change mine every 7500-10000 with a filter change in the middle. With dino, I change every 3k religeously.

I'm on the same boat as JD - I go 9K miles on Mobil 1 0W30 in both the XLT and the SLS.

If it was dino oil, I'd change it religiously at 3K on the XLT and whenever the SLS told me to.

I'm not as trusting as Al, so I don't put out the extra (big money!!) for the Amsoil and the 20K intervals.

Ry.

Is Amsoil at 20-25k more expensive than Mobile 1 at 10k?

Nope - but I won't go 25K on Mobil 1 either. :)

Originally posted by rvitek
Nope - but I won't go 25K on Mobil 1 either. :) [/QUOTE

Just curious, but why not, if the oil testing says the oil is still good?

Damn people with new engines. I have to use 20-50 in mine just to have enuogh oil pressure so lifters don't knock.

Originally posted by aldive
Just curious, but why not, if the oil testing says the oil is still good?
It's just one of those things. A lot of people tell me I only need two coats of poly on my furniture, but I always go with 5. I don't know why, but I feel that 5 is the best. It's the same thing with oil. I know you say I can go to 20K, but I feel like I can only go 10K.

Religion, politics, money, Ford vs. Chevy. Throw oil on there too - one of those things you just have to feel.

Ry.

Hmmmmm, I am changing my Mobil 1 5W 30 every
5k, I am guessing I can go more ???
( although it does make for easy math. )

Mobil1 5w30 every 6000. Amsoil states every 7500 right on the bottle.

JD:D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Jake's Dad
. Amsoil states every 7500 right on the bottle.
D

Not the Series 2000 that I use, Its says 35,000 miles/1 year. Dead Link Removed

Back