Engine overheats when Idling | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine overheats when Idling

Have you replaced the upper and lower rad hose. Sometimes they collapse. Check to see if they are soft.

I have not seen any hoses collapsing. Since the hoses were 20 years old and 188,000 miles on them, I went ahead and replaced them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@efBrianM

Let's keep this simple :)

Re-Scanning this 3 Page thread, what stands out to me is that you've written that your Ex does not and has not:

* Boiled Over

* Entered into the Red Zone of the Factory Instrument Cluster Temp Gauge

BUT despite those two points, you feel that the engine is running hot.

OK - so lets try the following - getting some empirical data = actual temp numbers.

Let your EX warm up and get to the point where you feel the temp is too high.

At that point, plug your scanner/Forscan into the OBD2 Port, toggle to the Current Water / Coolant Temperature, and get back to us with what that temp is.

Hope that helps - :)

Forscan dongle is on its way.

Long overdue for an update.
Vehicle developed a starting problem - had to replace the fuel pump.
Weather turned cold and overheating problem not such a big deal.
Before summer rolled around, engine developed timing problems - plastic parts on the passenger side timing cassette have broken. 194k miles.
Overheating is a moot point for now.
I will start another thread for the timing problem.

i
Long overdue for an update.
Vehicle developed a starting problem - had to replace the fuel pump.
Weather turned cold and overheating problem not such a big deal.
Before summer rolled around, engine developed timing problems - plastic parts on the passenger side timing cassette have broken. 194k miles.
Overheating is a moot point for now.
I will start another thread for the timing problem.
f its the primary it can be changed w/o overhaul. tho at this age, may be worth it do put a lo mile runner in? dunno

If it’s the primary, the others likely aren’t far behind

If it’s one of the others, I’d swap in another engine. I got an engine out of a crashed 2010 Ranger and used the long block. It had 36k on it and was $1000, can’t beat that. The newer SOHCs have updated timing components and don’t fail nearly as often. Currently at 160k on that engine, runs strong

Back