Engine Ping.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Ping..

Phil Flowers

Reaction score
I haven't tried anything yet but I thought I would at least see if anyone else has had the same problem.

My "94" auto has started a nasty ping. I've tried different fuels and it seems to consistently ping. In the last 20-25K I've replaced or installed plugs, wires, 1 oxy sensor, K&N filter, & Flowmaster exhaust.
Has anyone had to replace the anti-knock sensor? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,,,

Musclford

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After doing all the work, did you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

Well, somebody had to ask..... Dead Link Removed

------------------
Guy A.
Ripley, TN

This is a shot in the dark but after reading the research done on oil filter, I was wondering if that could be a cause? It doesn't cost much and you can try it next time you change the oil.

Here is the page for the report/study: http://www.minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilterstudy.html

This is a shot in the dark but after reading the research done on oil filters, I was wondering if that could be a cause? It doesn't cost much and you can try it next time you change the oil.

Here is the page for the report/study: http://www.minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilterstudy.html

phil
i have the notorios ping upon first starting the vehicle. it was there when i bought it at 127,000 mi 1991 model.
i now have 143,000 mi and what works for me is restore added at every oil change.no more ping!!! i am going to switch oil flters next time. it currently has a penzoil filter and i am switching to a motorcraft filter because of the oil filter article, just to see if it makes a difference without using restore. can't hurt to try. if t doesn't, i wll add my restore again. i also have k&n air filter, botsch plugs and new wires.

------------------

shawna l.

I had a pretty nasty ping just after I bought my truck. After going to the dealer, they said it was the timing chain tensioner. I found a website that gave me a couple of things to look at. After talking w/ a couple of mechanics I replaced my EGR valve, ran fuel injector cleaner, and reset the computer but none of this helped. The only thing that did the job was cleaning the mass air flow sensor. I used some brake cleaner, cleaned off the sensor and drove on my way. Total cost of repair, $3.82. Try this website. Dead Link Removed

Thanks for the replies,

Yes, Reset the computer, and the ping had just developed in the last 3 weeks. Tried different brands as well as octanes of fuel. No mods have been done to the truck for at least a year.
I'll try cleaning the EGR and the MAF, I've suspected the EGR, but never the MAF.

Thanks again,

Musclford

The Ping is Gone!!!!

Cleaned the MAF with brake cleaner, cleaned the EGR with carb cleaner although it wasn't bad, then reset the computer...

So far, So Good....

Thanks,

Musclford

I know this is an old thread guys, but i get the annoying ping sound only when i accelerate FAST like 60-80-100km it sounds like a jack hammer ping tick,tick,tick or ring,ring,ring very fast.

I changed plugs to no avail.

I THEN tried 92-95 octane and never got the ping, but man that gas is more expensive then 85-87 octane.

Back