• Register Today It's free!

engine problems

starman

Reaction score
City, State
mechanicsville,md.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
I have a 94 ford explorer 4.0 engine runs at fine when I start it. If I shut it off after it warms up and then restart it runs rough for a few mins and then strightens it's self out. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what the problem may be?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome star that sux bout ur x

How long since a tune up, and have you pulled codes? There may be a code stored even if the CEL is out. Might also try cleaning/replacing the IAC.

Not much to go on, but would be consistent with a bad fuel pressure regulator (ruptured diaphragm). next time you run the engine, pull the vacuum line off of the FPR and see if there's gas in it (gas=bad FPR).

Mine does that too every once in a while......It might do it twice in one day then go 2 months before it does it again.... Doesn't last 10 seconds and it straightens right up..... gonna have to get worse before I worry about it.... Ive seen times I have let something get worse before I could find the problem

My 94 did the same thing and we did a tune up, checked all leads and it would still do it. If we ran it on a long trip it would do fine but any short trips it would act up. My fiancee was talking to his dad (mechanic for 30 years) and he told him to try replacing the cats. It now feels like a completely different ex, and our fuel mileage went up!

well had a tune up and my 95 still does the same thing. it almost sounds as if it wants to stall as i step on the gas but after a 10 seconds or so of driving it clears up. possible that the computer corrects the problem. im not to worried about it.

Back