Engine problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine problems

WILMAC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I sad to say my 2020 explorer st is at the dealers for cold start engine noise. They will tear into it tomorrow. They believe it is a issue with the cam phaser system. This is my 4th ecoboost a 2011 f 150, a 2012 MKT, a 2015 f150, a 2017 platium explorer. All have been trouble free. Does anyone know if chain was changed from single to duel on the 2nd generation 3.5 ecoboost on the new 3. liter. I have been told there was a change because of the start stop system. The vehicle has 6500 miles on the clock

I sad to say my 2020 explorer st is at the dealers for cold start engine noise. They will tear into it tomorrow. They believe it is a issue with the cam phaser system. This is my 4th ecoboost a 2011 f 150, a 2012 MKT, a 2015 f150, a 2017 platium explorer. All have been trouble free. Does anyone know if chain was changed from single to duel on the 2nd generation 3.5 ecoboost on the new 3. liter. I have been told there was a change because of the start stop system. The vehicle has 6500 miles on the clock

Mine went in for the same issue. Dealer thought it was the cam phasers and timing chain. Two weeks later parts came in, changed out the timing components and didn't solve the issue. Dealer conducted a leak down and compression tests and found two cylinders with valves passing and one cylinder failed compression test. Bore scoped and discovered valves were bent. They explained the engine was most likely built slightly out of time from the plant and it suffered a "major event". New engine ordered and installed. I only had 8500 kms on it when it went in.

Back