• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Engine Rattle On Start Up

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I know I’m late to this thread but was wondering if you got any answers about the rattle and the 50-60 shudder. I’m having the exact same problem with my 14sport explorer.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Crates

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer AWD Limited
Yes, I had the timing chain replaced last summer and it got rid of it. My Explorer was sluggish and wanting to stall on a hill and soon after that it had a service engine light showed up intermittently. We plug the scan tool in and it showed a DTC for cam shaft sensor. Took it to the dealer and they did a further diagnostic and told me the timing chain was slacked. After the chain replacement, the shudder was gone and the rpm between 50 and 60 is a bit higher than before the timing belt replacement.
The rattle that I have is maybe a heat shield issue, because I still have it.
Check your serpentine belt tensioner to see if your belt has stretched and is causing it to reach the end of its travel. When this happens you will get an off-idle rattle that sounds just like a heat shield. Just fixed mine this weekend and that was the cause.

Mike.

BillsMafia12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
my explorer is doing the exact same thing. Anyone have an update on what it might be?

Does anyone have an update on this? I’m assuming it’s the timing chain. Was it covered under warranty? Or a TSB like the F-150s?

changed oil a couple of months ago and it showed up. Told the dealer when I had another problem.
Listen here. You can hear right after it cranks over.

Tsuga

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer, Sport
my explorer is doing the exact same thing. Anyone have an update on what it might be?
I had my timing chain and water pump replaced last August and it stopped, but now the rattle starts again, but only on warmer days. When it its cold, there is no noise. Before, it would rattle all the time on startup.

Tsuga

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer, Sport
Check your serpentine belt tensioner to see if your belt has stretched and is causing it to reach the end of its travel. When this happens you will get an off-idle rattle that sounds just like a heat shield. Just fixed mine this weekend and that was the cause.

Mike.
Does the rattle occur only on a cold start and fine afterward? I find that I get this rattle when the weather is a bit warmer. When it was cold like last Thursday and Friday, it did not rattle on startup.

Crates

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer AWD Limited
Does the rattle occur only on a cold start and fine afterward? I find that I get this rattle when the weather is a bit warmer. When it was cold like last Thursday and Friday, it did not rattle on startup.
Mine only happened when hot at idle, but it was consistent, and quite annoying.

Tsuga

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer, Sport
Mine only happened when hot at idle, but it was consistent, and quite annoying.
I actually found a video of a Duratec engine making the exact same noise as my vehicle. It turns out the be the tension pulley.

cabrego

Reaction score
City, State
South Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport!
I hope it is this. Listen to the 2 startups.

Tsuga, I appreciate you updating us with your progress. I've got 175k miles on my 2015 explorer Sport and we just started hearing the knocking noise on startup. It sounds exactly like the older video you posted. Are you planning on replacing the tensioner?