Engine Rattle On Start Up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Rattle On Start Up

2018 Explorer Sport - cold start - rattle noise. Did not go to dealer yet.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Can you tell if it is coming from the engine or possibly from underneath the vehicle?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Can you tell if it is coming from the engine or possibly from underneath the vehicle?

Peter
Definitely from the engine.
Checked everything around (outside) what possibly can rattle - nothing found.Noise coming from engine 100%
And it's only 25K

Definitely from the engine.
Checked everything around (outside) what possibly can rattle - nothing found.Noise coming from engine 100%
And it's only 25K
I know it only has 25k on it but I wonder if it could be the timing chain?

Peter

Slap slap slap go the timing chain that sucks :angryfire:

I’ve read all about that TSB but oddly it doesn’t apply to the 2013+ Ford Explorer Sport, the Ford Flex’s with the same motor or the Ford Taurus SHOs with the same motor.
Any update on this issue?

Peter

I know it only has 25k on it but I wonder if it could be the timing chain?

Peter
7/25/2019 - Explorer at dealer for diagnostics
Will post update after .

Timing chain tensioners should be replaced at 60-90K miles, if you are hearing the cold start rattle now its time for new tensioners.
If you catch the "rattle" early enough the damage will be lessened.
Change your oil every 3-5000 miles
Silly they still have issues with cold start tensioner issues even with the engines in 2014!

Peter

Wasn't the sport package the 3.5ltr twin screws only? The 2.0 turbo is the rattler, not the turbos on the 3.5 ecoboost.

If it was the timing chain wouldn't it make noise every time you started the engine? If it runs/starts normally at all other times I wonder how serious it could be. Are oil and fluid levels where they should be? Any exhaust smoke?

Peter
Often the tensioners are oil pressure actuated and rattle first after they drain, and lose their holding pressure. Not sure if these motors use hydraulic tensioners, or not.

Wasn't the sport package the 3.5ltr twin screws only? The 2.0 turbo is the rattler, not the turbos on the 3.5 ecoboost.
Any motor with a timing chain can develop a rattle.

Does anyone have an update on this? I’m assuming it’s the timing chain. Was it covered under warranty? Or a TSB like the F-150s?

changed oil a couple of months ago and it showed up. Told the dealer when I had another problem.
Listen here. You can hear right after it cranks over.

BMan did you happen to change the oil filter and then started to hear the start up noise?? If you did, the anti drain back valve in the new filter could be bad. Just curious.

That is definitely not turbo rattle. You may have an oil pressure issue or some kind of blockage around the pump/pickup. What is the oil level and what does it look like? I would try pouring some oil in right before you start it and see if there is any difference. That would help rule out a possible oil pump/pressure issue.
The cold start rattle always happen on cold start and even after an oil change. Unless the Tech did not put in enough oil when he changed the oil.

Peter
No, I have not had the issue resolved yet and it has been over 1.5 years since the issue first appeared. There is another issue that nobody seems to be able to diagnose, which is the shudder at 50 to 60 mph.

No, I have not had the issue resolved yet and it has been over 1.5 years since the issue first appeared. There is another issue that nobody seems to be able to diagnose, which is the shudder at 50 to 60 mph.
I know I’m late to this thread but was wondering if you got any answers about the rattle and the 50-60 shudder. I’m having the exact same problem with my 14sport explorer.

I know I’m late to this thread but was wondering if you got any answers about the rattle and the 50-60 shudder. I’m having the exact same problem with my 14sport explorer.
Drivetrain shudder that does not go away could be the PTU (power transfer unit) or bad / unbalanced tires. Obviously check the tires first or move the front ones to the back and see if it continues or changes. The PTU is the weakest link on the Sport drivetrain

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I had the timing chain replaced last summer and it got rid of it. My Explorer was sluggish and wanting to stall on a hill and soon after that it had a service engine light showed up intermittently. We plug the scan tool in and it showed a DTC for cam shaft sensor. Took it to the dealer and they did a further diagnostic and told me the timing chain was slacked. After the chain replacement, the shudder was gone and the rpm between 50 and 60 is a bit higher than before the timing belt replacement.
The rattle that I have is maybe a heat shield issue, because I still have it.

Back