Engine Rattle On Start Up | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Rattle On Start Up

I know I’m late to this thread but was wondering if you got any answers about the rattle and the 50-60 shudder. I’m having the exact same problem with my 14sport explorer.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I had the timing chain replaced last summer and it got rid of it. My Explorer was sluggish and wanting to stall on a hill and soon after that it had a service engine light showed up intermittently. We plug the scan tool in and it showed a DTC for cam shaft sensor. Took it to the dealer and they did a further diagnostic and told me the timing chain was slacked. After the chain replacement, the shudder was gone and the rpm between 50 and 60 is a bit higher than before the timing belt replacement.
The rattle that I have is maybe a heat shield issue, because I still have it.
Check your serpentine belt tensioner to see if your belt has stretched and is causing it to reach the end of its travel. When this happens you will get an off-idle rattle that sounds just like a heat shield. Just fixed mine this weekend and that was the cause.

Mike.

my explorer is doing the exact same thing. Anyone have an update on what it might be?

Does anyone have an update on this? I’m assuming it’s the timing chain. Was it covered under warranty? Or a TSB like the F-150s?

changed oil a couple of months ago and it showed up. Told the dealer when I had another problem.
Listen here. You can hear right after it cranks over.

my explorer is doing the exact same thing. Anyone have an update on what it might be?
I had my timing chain and water pump replaced last August and it stopped, but now the rattle starts again, but only on warmer days. When it its cold, there is no noise. Before, it would rattle all the time on startup.

Check your serpentine belt tensioner to see if your belt has stretched and is causing it to reach the end of its travel. When this happens you will get an off-idle rattle that sounds just like a heat shield. Just fixed mine this weekend and that was the cause.

Mike.
Does the rattle occur only on a cold start and fine afterward? I find that I get this rattle when the weather is a bit warmer. When it was cold like last Thursday and Friday, it did not rattle on startup.

Does the rattle occur only on a cold start and fine afterward? I find that I get this rattle when the weather is a bit warmer. When it was cold like last Thursday and Friday, it did not rattle on startup.
Mine only happened when hot at idle, but it was consistent, and quite annoying.

Mine only happened when hot at idle, but it was consistent, and quite annoying.
I actually found a video of a Duratec engine making the exact same noise as my vehicle. It turns out the be the tension pulley.

I hope it is this. Listen to the 2 startups.

Tsuga, I appreciate you updating us with your progress. I've got 175k miles on my 2015 explorer Sport and we just started hearing the knocking noise on startup. It sounds exactly like the older video you posted. Are you planning on replacing the tensioner?

These are the sounds it made when the vehicle has been sitting for a while or over night.

Mine sounds exactly like this as of this morning, first time it has made that sound. Did you ever pinpoint the issue?

That sounds like my car however I have 130,000 miles. The problem is lack of oil pickup on cold start in my case.. the oil pump is tired. Simply priming the engine first and then starting has been my solution.

Hold the brake pedal and gas pedal to the floor and then push start. Let it crank for 3 seconds and let off. This pushes oil up the pickup tube to top of engine and should be a lot quieter on cold starts.

I just had my engine torn apart back in May and the only thing I didn't replace was the oil pump because it looked fine. Now its making noises in August and wishing I did it then haha

Brian at Fordtechmakalako or whatever his name is recommended using the newer high volume pumps in the 3.5 which push more oil on cold start up

That sounds like my car however I have 130,000 miles. The problem is lack of oil pickup on cold start in my case.. the oil pump is tired. Simply priming the engine first and then starting has been my solution.

Hold the brake pedal and gas pedal to the floor and then push start. Let it crank for 3 seconds and let off. This pushes oil up the pickup tube to top of engine and should be a lot quieter on cold starts.

I just had my engine torn apart back in May and the only thing I didn't replace was the oil pump because it looked fine. Now its making noises in August and wishing I did it then haha

Brian at Fordtechmakalako or whatever his name is recommended using the newer high volume pumps in the 3.5 which push more oil on cold start up
There was a Ford Tech that shows how to start using this method on You tube . I used and it does not rattle on cold start at all.

Mine sounds exactly like this as of this morning, first time it has made that sound. Did you ever pinpoint the issue?
It looks like the oil pressure is not getting to the cam phaser on cold start. Try the starting method in the above post.

It looks like the oil pressure is not getting to the cam phaser on cold start. Try the starting method in the above post.
The 3.5 in my 2010 SHO did the same thing, for years. It started around 2012 with roughly 40k miles on it. I had purchased the 120k/10yr warranty. But, in 2012 thru 2016 Ford wouldn't do anything about it, so, I just left it alone. So, in 2019 with 119k miles on it, I took it in. The dealer had no problems in getting Ford to approve the repairs. The startup knock was about 5 seconds when cold and only a second or two when hot. The dealer took care of everything and now I have a new car again, ha. They replaced the timing chain, tensioners, guides, oil pump, water pump, seals, both rear struts, rear toe links, and PTU all under the warranty. In all, around $8k in repairs and it was at the dealer for a little over a week. Been fine ever since. Glad I bought that warranty, but, after all, who keeps a car that long! ;-)

Welcome to the Forum Mark. :wave:

Peter

Would different oil filters make any difference with an oil pressure issue on start up. My 2015 with 105,000 miles just started to rattle a bit on cold start ups.

*edit*
I was reading more on this, sounds like misfire and oil dilution contribute to this, just staying on top spark plug and oil changes should help.

There was a Ford Tech that shows how to start using this method on You tube . I used and it does not rattle on cold start at all.

Do you have to do it every time or does it last for a while. Mine is doing the same and sounds just like your earlier posting and dealer says its the tensioner / timing chain and claim it is a is a 15hr job.

Do you have to do it every time or does it last for a while. Mine is doing the same and sounds just like your earlier posting and dealer says its the tensioner / timing chain and claim it is a is a 15hr job.
Have you tried following the advice from the video? If yes, and it didn't resolve the issue, then perhaps it could be what the dealer mentioned.
How many km on your Explorer? If it is the timing chain and or tensioners, think about a water pump replacement while they have it apart.

Peter

Have you tried following the advice from the video? If yes, and it didn't resolve the issue, then perhaps it could be what the dealer mentioned.
How many km on your Explorer? If it is the timing chain and or tensioners, think about a water pump replacement while they have it apart.

Peter
Thanks for the quick reply! Haven't tried it yet but will on the next cold start and update back here.

Its a 2018 Explorer Sport with about 75k miles on it. Started a while back but I just assumed a heat shield or fluid jug was loose or something minor. Mentioned it to the dealer as it is in for a brake job and he suggested that it was likely the timing chain and tensioner as its a common issue and is typically a big job since it is difficult to get to and change out. 15 hours seems crazy to me though but I'm sure that's just how much labor they charge for it and it doesn't actually take that long. He's going to check it out when he does the brakes but he was just warning me that is usually the issue when a customer reports this rattle on cold start from under the hood on the passenger side.

So if that is the problem and a possible solution is priming the oil pressure with the method described above I was just wondering if that needs to be done on each start to prevent the rattle or if you do it once, it last for a while and the problem magically goes away. I assume it is the former though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So if that is the problem and a possible solution is priming the oil pressure with the method described above I was just wondering if that needs to be done on each start to prevent the rattle or if you do it once, it last for a while and the problem magically goes away. I assume it is the former though.
I'm guessing it would likely have to be done at every start-up.

Peter

Back