• Register Today It's free!

Engine Rattle

tldt2003

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 E.B.
I used to own a '98 4.0 explorer, got to about 25k miles on it and it developed a valve clatter-type noise. Turned out to be the infamous timing tensioners blah blah blah.

I now have an '06 4.0 explorer, and Im getting what sounds like the same type of noise from 2500rpm to 3200rpm under a load, mainly when the engine is cold. It's still under warranty. Is this normal for these 4.0's or should I bother the dealer with it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found that I get that noise when I use the cheap 'service' brand chinese oil filters. I do not get that noise with motorcraft or fram.

not really sure what it could be but hell if it still under warranty take it to them, never know might happen to be some sort of recall whatever could be making the noise

Turned out to be the filter. A motorcraft filter has silenced the noise, or at least reduced it quite a bit!

I know this is a really old thread. But I am getting the same noise in my 06' 4.0L, its sounds almost like a pinging/rattle between those same RPMs. Did the noise ever come back after the oil filter change?

It did come back. It's loudest when the engine is cold between 2400-3200 rpm, especially on days cooler than 80°.

In fact, I was getting ready to make an appointment at our dealer. I still have two months left on my ESP!

It did come back. It's loudest when the engine is cold between 2400-3200 rpm, especially on days cooler than 80°.

In fact, I was getting ready to make an appointment at our dealer. I still have two months left on my ESP!

I still have 2 years left on my ESP, I have the exact same noise between those RPMs. I also have a rattle/clicking noise at idle, but once I give it a little gas it goes away until 2500-3200 RPM under load. I will not rattle at that RPM in park or neutral. There has to be load on the engine for it to make that noise.

If you bring it into the dealer to get it looked at please post back as to what they found the problem to be. I am almost positive that it is the primary timing chain, same issue as the earlier SOHC engine had.

Will do. I'm hoping they won't use their selective hearing and actually find the culprit.

Will do. I'm hoping they won't use their selective hearing and actually find the culprit.

Yeah, thats what I am worried about. I sent my dealer an email about a month ago in regards to the issue and I never heard anything back from them. A little pissed about that. I have had to much experience from dealers saying "I don't hear anything wrong" or "There are no issues, everything is fine". I love the car other then that noise, granted I am really picky about things like that but oh well. I will probably end up bringing it in, in a week or two for them to fix.

Sounds like timing chains and tensioners.

tldt2003 & PEAR0119,

I can imagine that you would want to have this issue resolved. Because you have an ESP on your Explorer, I agree with taking it to the dealer to investigate and diagnose the noise. Please feel free to message me if you have any troubles or would like help with that.

Cory

tldt2003 & PEAR0119,

I can imagine that you would want to have this issue resolved. Because you have an ESP on your Explorer, I agree with taking it to the dealer to investigate and diagnose the noise. Please feel free to message me if you have any troubles or would like help with that.

Cory

I find "cory" annoying. Cory can you stop posting about going to dealer, We are all here to talk about our experiences working on are own trucks, to save our money and our fix truck by ourselves. So unless your going to give us advice directly stop posting in here.

I agree, Cory is a bot.

I have 178,000 now on my `02. I do have the rattle. I have used better filters for the last 75K. I assume if I used the chinese brand of filter the rattle would be unbearable (or destructive!). I've had the rattle for 75K+.

I've also had a grinding rear end for 110K. Has gotten better. I wonder if it's wearing in? :)

I still tow a 3000Lb camper and 3000Lb boat quite a bit.

Believe me guys; I definitely understand the need to save money. In this economy, we all do. I recommend going to the dealership because they are in the best position to assist with your repair needs, and in situations where your truck may still be under warranty there is no cost for a covered repair. Thank you for your understanding.

Cory

I have 178,000 now on my `02. I do have the rattle. I have used better filters for the last 75K. I assume if I used the chinese brand of filter the rattle would be unbearable (or destructive!). I've had the rattle for 75K+.

I've also had a grinding rear end for 110K. Has gotten better. I wonder if it's wearing in? :)

I still tow a 3000Lb camper and 3000Lb boat quite a bit.

check the rear timing tensioner, when I took my motor out and disassembled I found my tensioner was stuck in, if I only knew I could of changed tensioner and saved motor, it is cheep and easy to change

Well, I am going to be bringing the truck in sometime next week to get the rattle looked at. Since I have the "Extra Care" warranty the timing chains and crap should be covered if it is in fact them that is causing the noise (I hate noisy cars).

I am going to be getting them to look into my steering wheel bind as well and very sloppy suspension. likes to wander when going over big bumps. Tie rods seem loose and the shocks seem weak to me.

I will keep you posted on what ends up happening with the engine noise.

Well, I am going to be bringing the truck in sometime next week to get the rattle looked at. Since I have the "Extra Care" warranty the timing chains and crap should be covered if it is in fact them that is causing the noise (I hate noisy cars).

I am going to be getting them to look into my steering wheel bind as well and very sloppy suspension. likes to wander when going over big bumps. Tie rods seem loose and the shocks seem weak to me.

I will keep you posted on what ends up happening with the engine noise.

Please do. I'm going to take mine in as well, hopefully next week. Mine is definitely worse when it's cooler outside.

well, I got the oil changed yesterday with no change to the noise. I am bringing the truck in on Wednesday to get this noise looked at. It seems to be getting worst as I drive it, not only does it when driving between 2500 - 3200 RPM there is also a nasty rattle/clanging noise at idle. It is for sure worst when the engine is cold and almost disappears when the engine has warmed to operating temp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back