Engine Rattle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Rattle

Will do for sure!!!

I'm pretty sure it is the primary timing chain. it rattles at idle and it only coming from the front of the engine, the rear chain seems quiet. The TSB Ford released for the 2nd gen Explorers explains my noise to the T. I know I could probably drive it forever with no issues, but I HATE engines that make noises they shouldn't be making.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you will definitely not may drive it forever. The timing chain tensioners will break and destroy your engine.
Sooner or later everyone of us has to change timing chains and tensioners.

Second gen. Explorer images:

4631107.jpg

4631108.jpg

4631109.jpg

4631112.jpg

4631114.jpg

4631115.jpg

4631116.jpg

4631117.jpg

4631118.jpg

Gross. OK, well I guess it may not run forever:thumbdwn:. They better not come back and say that it is not covered under my extended warranty or else I will go ape **** all over them.

I called my local dealership to get a price on replacing the chains and tensioners for mine and they told me in the neighborhood of $1600. That sound right to anyone in the know? That is a HUGE chunk for me.

PEAR0119, I agree those pictures were a little gross. Please feel free to drop me a line if you run into any troubles.

Cory

Will do man, thanks. She is going into the dealership tomorrow to get a diagnosis. I was talking to my service adviser and as I was describing the noise he admitted that it is most likely a timing chain issue and will be covered under my extended warranty :thumbsup:.

I am also getting them to check out the shocks/struts as they seem like they are done. Hitting any bump in the road vibrates the entire car for a few seconds and it bounces forever. If they deem them unfit as well, they are also covered under the extended warranty :thumbsup:. So the adventure begins!!

Well, good news I guess. I just got a call back from the dealer and they are going to be replacing the primary timing chain tensioner. And verify that all other chains are in working order while they are in there.

Apparently the vibrations when hitting bumps in the road are characteristic of the Uniroyal Laredo tires that are on the car. I actually believe them, since I know that the sidewalls of those tires are so damn soft. Too bad they were brand new when I bought the car, otherwise I would have gotten different tires cause I don't really like those.

Thats all I know so far. They told me that if they find anything more they will let me know. Everything timing chain related is covered under warranty so I am hoping that they get everything fixed up right.

How many miles do you have on the odometer?
Depending on that I would suggest to pay some money to get all the other timing chain and tensioners done as well.
Sooner or later this has to be done. And now is a good opportunity to get it done for little additional money.

I have 47K miles on the clock. This is all getting done under warranty so I am not paying for the work. They claim that they are going to inspect the other chains while they have the front cover off and replace more parts if needed.

I only put about 4-5K miles on the truck every year so I hope that the other chains last a decent amount of time before they give way.

Well, the dealer has replaced the primary timing chain tensioners and the noise remains. They are now tearing into it more and replacing the primary timing chain and cassette. So hopefully they are able to fix the issue. Fingers crossed.

UPDATE:

Well the dealer has found the issue. One of the timing chain tensioners were completely missing, they dropped the oil pan and found the tensioner in a few pieces in the oil pan. So, they have decided to change out every timing chain and tensioner in the engine. I am actually quite happy that they have found the issue and are replacing them all, under warranty as well.

Big props go to Campbell Ford in Ottawa.

45K failure

UPDATE: . . . One of the timing chain tensioners were completely missing, they dropped the oil pan and found the tensioner in a few pieces in the oil pan. So, they have decided to change out every timing chain and tensioner in the engine. . .

I've heard of 2nd generation SOHC V6s experiencing timing chain related failures as early as 45K miles but they had the older tensioners and guides. Your 2006 has all of the timing chain related improvements. Do you have 4WD? I don't know if there were any improvements to the balance shaft tensioner. That may be the one the dealer found in the oil pan. I'm glad all the tensioners and guides are getting replaced under warranty. The engine has to be pulled to replace the right cassette.

I was talking to the service advisor and it was in fact the balance shaft tensioner that ended up failing. They are on the search for all the pieces of the tensioner.

Well, got the car home today and am glad to say that the engine no longer has a rattle and is as quiet as can be. They replaced the primary timing chain tensioner and the balance shaft tensioner would of cost me $1600.92 for the repair but since I have the ESP I paid $100 as the warranty deductible.

Thanks guys for all the help and advise to get this all resolved.

Well, got the car home today and am glad to say that the engine no longer has a rattle and is as quiet as can be. They replaced the primary timing chain tensioner and the balance shaft tensioner would of cost me $1600.92 for the repair but since I have the ESP I paid $100 as the warranty deductible.

Thanks guys for all the help and advise to get this all resolved.

Wow that's awesome! I dropped mine off today. Hope I have the same luck as you.

Wow that's awesome! I dropped mine off today. Hope I have the same luck as you.

Yeah man good luck!! I have had great service from my local dealer, well we have gotten 7 cars serviced there and thats the only place we will go to get our cars serviced. Also, we go to the same service advisor every time and takes care of us. It also helps to be in good terms with the service manager and parts manager. I also go there for all my Ford Racing parts as well, so they make good money off us.

Now that the engine is extremely quiet (even when cold), I know hear a slight wine either coming from the trans or the transfer case on acceleration and only when the car is cold. once it warms up everything is slicky smooth.

Kinda funny how you quiet down one thing, and then you start hearing a completely different noise, lol.

Yeah man good luck!! I have had great service from my local dealer, well we have gotten 7 cars serviced there and thats the only place we will go to get our cars serviced. Also, we go to the same service advisor every time and takes care of us. It also helps to be in good terms with the service manager and parts manager. I also go there for all my Ford Racing parts as well, so they make good money off us.

Now that the engine is extremely quiet (even when cold), I know hear a slight wine either coming from the trans or the transfer case on acceleration and only when the car is cold. once it warms up everything is slicky smooth.

Kinda funny how you quiet down one thing, and then you start hearing a completely different noise, lol.

To no surprise, they couldn't hear ANY noise. I even went for a ride with them and could hear it rattling plain as day...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To no surprise, they couldn't hear ANY noise. I even went for a ride with them and could hear it rattling plain as day...

That seriously sucks!! I'm sure they can hear the noise but know whats in store for them in the repair and are trying to avoid the work. I told them to listen inside the wheel well while the car was idling as that's the best place to hear it as it is much more pronounced.

Back