Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I am having a problem with my engine running rough and extremely rich. I have changed the spark plugs not too long ago, the coil, crank trigger and TFI module are all fairly new, the oxygen sensor is new and I sent the computer out for testing but it came back fine. Basically what happens is the truck runs so rich that it loads up and stalls. Once this happens the only way to get it started again is to hold the throttle wide open and crank until it clears out. Power is way down, emmissions and fuel consumption are way up. I don't know what else to check. The Ford dealer tells me it is because I used an aftermarket O2 sensor but the problem started before that. Any ideas? I'm completely stumped and I'm not convinced that paying someone $200 to run a diagnostic on it will solve the problem. I haven't pulled any codes off of it yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same problem with a 95 Mustang GT dealer claimed it was the O2 sensor but come to find out the O2 sensor doesnt give readings to the computer till it reaches a a certain temp. so we tested our MAF sensor and that was the problem.

Whats your fuel pressure like? I've read of FPR going bad and allowing very high pressures to the fuel rail, which makes it run very rich..

~Mark

FPR is my guess too.

I'll have to check into the fuel pressure regulator. The problem started last summer after the truck had been sitting for a year.

Holy cow man! I just called NAPA and they want $178 for a regulator. Does that sound right to you?

Holy sheep ****... Try Torrie at Ford Parts Network. I really can't remember what I paid for mine. It was several years ago.

Just called Ford and they only want $150. Still seems like an awful lot of money to me.

Sounds a little high. I paid right at $100 for one 6-8 months ago here. I can't remember where, just one of the parts stores.

I was thinking around $30-40 but I guess I am way off on that. Still a little shocked tha ta Ford part would list for $30 less than an aftermarket part. I was going to buy a gauge but they are very expensive too and my only other EFI vehicle is brand new so I'd probably only use it once. I got the Ford guy to bring the regulator in for me. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Well I replaced the regulator and it seems to run much better now. Still going to keep an eye on it though.

go to partsamerica.com they have a fpr on there for about 70 bux. or go to your local advance auto. they are cheaper than ford parts. I have been looking to replace mine and checked out all prices.

Back