Engine Sensors - Part 1 Oxygen Sensors | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Sensors - Part 1 Oxygen Sensors

I have a bit of kit from Hongkong that turns my computer to a fault code reader. i had a light that would come on after a few miles driving says Bank 1,&2 slow response. I could see all 3 sensors working in the program. No 3 Exhaust finaly turned up reading 0 after a couple of months. I replaced this, the one behind the cat with new. Good shows working, 2 upstreams look OK. now 3 days later its showing 0 and the lights back on.the old one looks OK sans photos. Any idea whats going on can a sensor be destryed? in this short time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

o2 sensors

That sounds all to familiar. For my 4.0L it was a simple vaccum leak from my crank case to throttle body hose, a 5 dollar fix that cost me two o2 sensors first.

Great write-up. I notice it's Part 1 - could Part 2 describe locations of the sensors. I've got a P0060 which is 2/2 (Sensor2/Bank2) to which I've found conflicting info on whether that's driver or passenger side? 3rd Gen 4.0L Thanks

Thanks for that..

I fished the old one out of the bin this afternoon, on exam found the 4 thin slots in it blocked..Looks like rust. cleaned them with knife blade.Will take new one out again. check and put old one back in to test. The voltages of the sensors all show up in the program I dont think a vac leak would knock the rear one out completly..

I retried the cleaned old one it stuttered a bit. Put the new one back in and its working again I think there may be an issue with the plug & socket socket maimly as theres a new plug on the new sensor.

Working on a 96 Explorer with 4.0L. At first tried driver side with crescent wrench, it was stuck good. With some anti-sieze I could probably of gotten that one but the passenger side is hard to reach. After getting some freeze off (CRC Brand) and the o2 sensor tool they both came loose very easy from under the rig.

I can see the connector on drivers side and think I can reach it but how do you access the passenger side connector??? Can you reach it from top side of engine or would the access panel from inside car apply here??? Driver side seems cable tied in there and not in a good spot to reach but I think I can get to it.

Cleaned slots Oxygen sensors now work OK

wELL ALMOST

My drivers side was lose but the passenger side fought all the way off very very tight thought it would break off. Could not reach the plug either. left it plugged in and cleaned it and re inserted.

The Boch sensors have about 20thou slots in them and they were almost blocked. cleaded them out with a knife blade.

the drivers side is Ok now but the pass' side throws a code occaisionaly.

i think it may be down to the sensor at the cat as it occaisionaly stops working and if I wiggle the plug comes on line again. My next job is to remove the plug and hard wire it.

I have the driver side out now and see what you mean about stuff inside it that is blocking the slits. I have all 4 sensors out of a 2003 explorer that a buddy of mine pulled at the junkyard for free (he works there) so I'm hoping to replace them all, although only worried about fronts for now due to needing to pass emissions. It's winter and cold so no fun to work on vehicles now. I'll do the rears in the spring. Or maybe I'll hold onto the other two, from what I read all 4 are the same and I suspect the front ones go out more often than the downstreams.

I'm not real happy with this solution (slight twist to wires when reinstalling) but what I did to get the passenger side is grab the wire from topside and connect the new sensor then lowered the sensor down and crawled under the car to screw it back in. I'd rather have screwed the sensor into the manifold first then connected the wire but I really doubt I could have gotten the connector back together. I did twist the wires opposite before installing the sensor in the pipe so that reduced the "twist" some.

Thats what i did as well just twisted anticlockwise then put it in...

O2 elm

Hello everybody,

Is it possible to get realtime data from O2 sensors, using an ELM Interface and my laptop?, I'm trying with ScanMaster software, but it shows like there aren't any sensor to read. Is this a software issue. Help!!!!!

Thaks in advance.

Okkkk

Thank u very much, i'm going to test it. I'll let u know what happened.

Greettings
:D:D:D:D:D

Bad

Uhmmm, well, i tried, no success, but, checking the exhaust, i couldn't find any sensor, i found metallic patches instead. I guess that they were stolen at the workshop. But i don't get any DTC light, and no check engine light. The software is showing: "open loop driving" in the Fuel System Tab.

What can i do?, get new sensors??, was the ECU modified, or altered??

Best Regards:exp:

Hlp

Anyone???, please

:(:(:(:(:(:roll:

Does your engine have a single point injection system???? I am not sure these had oxygen sensors

Or multi point?

Do the DTC engine light come on when you turn on Ignition, Is the bulb OK. If it goes out and stays out you do not have a problem

aNSWR

Does your engine have a single point injection system???? I am not sure these had oxygen sensors

Or multi point?

Do the DTC engine light come on when you turn on Ignition, Is the bulb OK. If it goes out and stays out you do not have a problem

Hello,

I'm very sure that it has a multipoint injection system (EFI OHV 4.0). The engine light is fine, actually it's already ON because a problem with my camshaft sensor. When i use my scanner, it shows values of Oxygen Sensors like this:

O2 Sensor Bank 0 : 0V
O2 Sensor Bank 1 : 0V
O2 Sensor Bank 2 : 0V

And it shows "Open loop driving"
My explorer is a 97's Sport, i'm not sure how many sensors it should have.

I decided to get some replacements but i don't know which brand is good, and how many do i get.

I'M LOST

Greetings
:roll::roll:

The sensors shouild vary between 0 and .8 volt...

My engine is the same the up stream sensors are on the exhaust pipes as they come down from the manifold and the third is on top of the exhaust pipe behind the Cat' i think you need to fix the cam sensor first!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sensors shouild vary between 0 and .8 volt...

My engine is the same the up stream sensors are on the exhaust pipes as they come down from the manifold and the third is on top of the exhaust pipe behind the Cat' i think you need to fix the cam sensor first!

U're right, i'm going to fix my cam sensor very soon.
If you disconnect all your oxygen sensors, does your ECU show a DTC error???, or it simply keeps running under "open loop driving" forever???? I want to be sure that if i buy some sensors, i'll able to connect those to the ECU without problems.

Regards

Back