• Register Today It's free!

Engine stalls at low rpm

Dxta

Reaction score
City, State
Lagos
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011ford explorer ltd
Hi, everyone. I'm new here. I've got a 2011 V6, Ford explorer that has being giving me issues since last week.

I bought the car used from a cousin of mine. Car was driven down to my destination working perfectly, only some few weeks after, to start here some knocking sound from the engine. Took it to a treeshade Mechanic down the street, who said the oil pump was weak, and acting weirdly. They did replaced the pump with a used one I got off a junkyard.

When I got the car back, these were the symptoms I was having:
1. On start-up, there's a noise that comes from the engine area. Don't know if its the valve train or engine block vicinity.
The noise persists for sometime, before subsiding.
2. Revving the engine when its idling, you hear a noise at the end of the throttling. Kind of a feeling of maybe the conrod bearings, or crankshaft journal bearings might be worn, or so.
3. At this idling position, the engine kinda gives a feeling of a diesel engine (maybe misfires). Feels as if its jerking. A to fro like motion.
4. When driving, immediately the AC system is engaged, with time, the engine shuts down, as some kind of failsafe system. If I start the car immediately, it comes on.

WHAT I HAVE DONE
1. Scanned the car for codes, and got:
*P0012 and P0016 all pointing to camshaft A and B retarded or advanced timing.
I removed the VCT solenoids on all the banks, and discovered they were all clogged with metal chippings, and sludge.
Cleaned them up with throttle cleaner, and applied 12V to test them few seconds. The plungers in the solenoids were working; fixed them back, and all the codes went away by themselves.
I only have codes for the oxygen heater sensors alone(this won't cause the stalling problems).

2. I did replaced the fuel pump, because it was so dirty.
There was no improvement.

3. I ha e checked the oil filter on the truck. Its the motorcraft filter that was installed there.

MY QUESTIONS ARE
Could it be that the oil pump that was replaced on the engine has low oil pressure problems, or what?

Can we say, the knocking noises I hear when the engine is revved might be what's causing the "low oil pressure$ to show on the dashboard, and subsequent stalling of the engine when AC system is ON?

Pls I need your help to help fix this car. Its being giving me sleepless nights.

Dxta

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing I would check is the timing chain tension-er. If it gets worn it will allow metal shavings to enter the oil galleries. Also it will cause timing to be off on the Cams. How many miles are on it? Shutting down is normal when lack of oil or low oil pressure is detected to stop the engine from blowing up.

Start there because most of the stuff are talking about can be caused by this.

Why did you get a used oil pump? Just asking because it may have been just as bad as the one you replaced. It

Thanks for your replies@MLav5. Miles is about 115086.
Yeah, over here, its sometimes difficult and expensive getting a new oil pump. Just like you said, the timing might have jumped and maybe caused the shavings I saw on the VCT solenoids.

I've checked the timing on the camshafts on both banks on the top cylinders. But I have noticed there aren't timing marks on the crankshaft pulley. How do I get to align the marks on the crankshaft pulley with the camshafts, since there aren't marks on the crankshaft pulley? What do you do to properly time the engine? Do I need any special tool? What if I don't have any of those tools, can't I time the engine and remove the crankshaft pulley?

Dxta

sounds bad, run it and drain the engine oil into a coffee strainer and cut the oil filter open without introducing shavings and unravel the filter media and inspect. Before any of this I would hook up an oil pressure gauge and see what it reads at idle and over 2000rpm. May need an engine depending how long it went with lack of oil pressureo_O. If the oil drained has quite a bit of metal its not going to be good, could try dropping the pan and removing any remaining shavings off the oil pickup strainer.

Today, I brought out the oil filter to take a look at it. The oil looks dark like diesel engine oil, with some metal chippings in there. I also saw some brownish stuff, suggesting it might be some part of the timing chain guide, either from the previous job, or it just developed recently.

sounds bad, run it and drain the engine oil into a coffee strainer and cut the oil filter open without introducing shavings and unravel the filter media and inspect. Before any of this I would hook up an oil pressure gauge and see what it reads at idle and over 2000rpm. May need an engine depending how long it went with lack of oil pressureo_O. If the oil drained has quite a bit of metal its not going to be good, could try dropping the pan and removing any remaining shavings off the oil pickup strainer.

I did get a sample from the engine oil filter I removed this morning. Looked so dark, with some filings in it. I plan to if possible, tear the engine apart, to inspect the crankshaft journal bearings and all that, to a certain extent of damage.

I did get a sample from the engine oil filter I removed this morning. Looked so dark, with some filings in it. I plan to if possible, tear the engine apart, to inspect the crankshaft journal bearings and all that, to a certain extent of damage.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you

Peter

Its a ford explorer limited.

I finally got a used engine from the USA, and did replaced it.
I have this text displayed on the navigation system: SD card fault. What could this be, and is this something I can fix, or I got to take it to the dealership to ha e it checked?
Thanks for your replies

Dxta

I have this text displayed on the navigation system: SD card fault. What could this be, and is this something I can fix, or I got to take it to the dealership to ha e it checked?
Thanks for your replies

Dxta
There is a thread on that message; "NAV SD Card Fault" Have you tried reinstalling the navigation card? Also, as previously requested, please add the trim level, Limited, to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful info to have at times. Thanks.

Peter

Thanks for your replies

Dxta

The SD card is used for Navigation. It is in the center console near the radio. Check to see if prior owner left one in there. If not that is the fault, if so I would do as above and reset it. If that does not fix it then try buying a new SD card with the maps. I would try a regular SD card and see if it reads a picture, or music.

There is a thread on that message; "NAV SD Card Fault" Have you tried reinstalling the navigation card? Also, as previously requested, please add the trim level, Limited, to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful info to have at times. Thanks.

Peter
you seem very worried about this trim level thing, are you OCD or just **** about these type of small details?

you seem very worried about this trim level thing, are you OCD or just **** about these type of small details?
It saves a lot of trouble when other people are trying to HELP with an issue. It’s also a rule, for good reason.

Maybe not OCD but, I agree. A simple PM to remind them instead might be better then public shaming.

Why does everything these days have to be a ‘shaming’ of some sort? If it’s ignored on the public forum, it’s certain to be ignored in PM.

Its called "busting balls" guys, I guess I grew up in a different time when you could give someone crap and expect to get it back without a bunch of butt hurt crying. This country is going to ****...... Run by Millennial's who think everyone deserves a trophy, and we cant offend anyone. lighten up for Christ sake. Laugh. Life is good! goes by too fast to be so serious.

millennials are hardly running the country. You’re jumping the gun on that. Also, this forum is entirely voluntary and you don’t have a cent into it. If have a problem with someone nicely enforcing the rules and policies, you are more than free to go. Peter is one of the nicest guys, and is always by the book. Hardly deserves you calling him a dick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

None of the above. It is a Required part of the registration for a good reason. In certain circumstances it is very helpful to have that info so a proper reply can be given since not all 'trim' levels have that features and/or fixes. In the earlier days before it became a required entry, there would be many cases where a member wanting to reply to a post ended up asking the OP which model/trim they had so a meaningful answer could be given. Wouldn't have to ask if everyone read and filled out the profile correctly in the first place. It is also referenced in the Rules.

Peter

Back