Engine stumbling under load to 3k rpms | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine stumbling under load to 3k rpms

Tdfree87

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Needing some help to diagnose an issue I’m having. I’ve got a 2013 XLT with just over 116k miles. I’m having an intermittent problem where under light load/throttle(I’d say no more than 25-30% throttle) my engine seems to struggle or stutter a bit between the 2-3k rpm range and then it’s fine. You can even see the rpms bouncing some while watching the tach. This only occurs until I reach highway speeds, then there’s no issue. Same thing if I’m using anywhere close to 50% throttle, there’s no problem. In the last few weeks I’ve recently replaced the purge evap solenoid because I was having rough idle on cold starts, and real weak starts after refueling, and replacing it fixed both those issues but not the engine stuttering. In fact it’s only gotten worse and more frequent. Only code that’s popped up was the p144c code I believe(?) but that’s since went away after replacing the evap solenoid. I’m not sure where to look to next. My limited knowledge has me thinking maybe throttle body? But that was replaced under warranty just a couple years ago and just threw the vehicle straight to limp mode without any lingering issues prior to it going out. Any help or guidance in here would be much appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
How does it perform at idle? The only other thread I found on a non Sport was this one; Idle stumbles when load placed on engine Unfortunately there was no follow-up/resolution post.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
How does it perform at idle? The only other thread I found on a non Sport was this one; Idle stumbles when load placed on engine Unfortunately there was no follow-up/resolution post.

Peter
Thanks for the link. After replacing the purge evap solenoid it idles just fine. The problem only occurs when accelerating up to speed and then at about 55-60mph it no longer occurs. It’s got me a bit baffled tbh

Bump anybody got any ideas? Really trying to figure this out on my own without having to take it to a dealer

Have the spark plugs been replaced?

Back