steveatthebeach

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Callsign
K4IQX
I've looked through the other threads and saw similar problem, but since I wasn't sure if mine was the possibly the same issue, I thought I would post another thread about it.

Slower speeds no issues, Get on the interstate, try to accelerate normally and the engine stutters. Put the gas pedal through the floor, no problems! Replaced the fuel pump back in September last year along with the fuel filter. I'm not getting any codes on anything when I plug the OBD II scanner in tho.

Saw a few threads about the O2 sensor, some about the MAF, but if these were the problem, wouldn't it show up on the scanner?

Thanks in advance for any help you could throw my way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles are on it? Did this start all at once or slowly getting worse?

How many miles are on it? Did this start all at once or slowly getting worse?

It started about 3 months ago, and since I spend so much time in airplanes and airports, I haven't had a chance to look at it, the weather and a fractured arm haven't helped that situation any. It hasn't gotten any worse, I'm glad to say.

When was the last time the spark plugs where replaced? Also check for worn spots on the wires.

They are about a year old (read as 16,000 miles, interstate mostly) The plugs will get changed this weekend and I understand about the wires, worn jackets or just warn out wires can cause issues too.

They are about a year old (read as 16,000 miles, interstate mostly) The plugs will get changed this weekend and I understand about the wires, worn jackets or just warn out wires can cause issues too.

Are the plugs the correct Motorcraft SP500's? If they're just plain old copper I can definitely see them going bad in just a year.

it could just be a dirty maf. not sure of the mileage on the truck but this is a fast and inexpensive possible fix..i had some issues with my 02 mountaineer no code it was stubling at about 2000 to 2500 rpms i clean the throttle body, maf sensor and, new air filter at the same time, not sure what the true fix was but its been fine ever since. at the time the clock read about 130,000 or so..

Sorry for the delay in updating this post, but I've been dealing with the work thing, living my life in a hotel room very far from home. Issue was resolved, it was a loose plug wire at the plug itself. Good pickup and gas mileage now. Did a plug change while I was in there, used the double platinum plugs, I'm a happy camper now.

A big THANKS to all that responded on this!

Back