• Register Today It's free!

ENGINE SURGES OR STALLS WHEN COLD

dave8465

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Viejo, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
I own a 99 sport 4.0 L SOHC. In temperatures below 60 degrees the engine will tend to surge when first started. The colder the weather the worse the problem. In temps below 40 degrees the engine will surge, stumble and stall. Only after repeated starts and after it warms up will this problem go away, but.... When the temps are in the teens or lower the surging will remain even after the engine is warm only slightly noticeable though.
My question- Has anyone had this problem? If so what was the cause or should I just by a Chevy?

Seriously , can anyone help?

Thanks, Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you go buy a Chevy, you might have even worse problems.

Since you have SOHC, your problem may be caused by Intake Manifold O-Rings. If you do a search for it, you should find a lot of info.

Dead Link Removed

Its also possible that your problem may be caused by a bad IAC valve, which seems to be a common problem with Explorers.

Check out the links posted in this thread to see if the symptoms sound familar:

Dead Link Removed

also check this thread:

Dead Link Removed

I just got my idle air control valve replaced and i have the 5.0L. It wouldnt stay started when it was cold outside. I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it started. Once it warmed up it was fine.

Thanks for the info. I replaced my IAC valve and cleaned the carbon build up in the TB with no luck. I'm gonna take it to the dealer and have this done under the extended warranty for 00m12. Sounds like it should do it.
Dave

Back