Engine surging; dieseling upon shutoff; airy release sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine surging; dieseling upon shutoff; airy release sound

MistahYebba

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey,

so problem after problem that comes up on my truck, I try to address each one accordingly..

Recently I've been having an issue where the car is surging very frequently and rhythmically.

At a complete stop in gear, the car surges "vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom" and the RPMs quickly rise and drop repeatedly maybe 50RPMs.

Once driving, I can't really feel the effects of this.

Now, I believe these two issues to be related...

I also am having a hard time killing the engine.

When I turn off the key, it diesels.... (engine knocking and shaking the entire Ex trying as hard as possible to not turn off it seems..)

I have tried waiting like 30 seconds to see if it eventually dies, but it just won't...

to get around this problem, I simply turn the electronics on and the engine begins purring right away again... then I turn the key off again.

It takes like 6-7 attempts before I finally get the engine to shut off.

When it does.... it's strangely accompanied by the sound of a school bus coming to a stop. Like a big release of air coming from underneath the hood.. and then it stinks really bad like burnt exhaust.

but no visible signs of anything harmful..

and that's it. I park the car and go home!

I'd like to fix this problem though, so any ideas are greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

i am no expert..... but for the surging- my truck was doing that too, but only when the engine was cold. I cleaned the butterfly throttle choke thingie, and the MAF sensor... and it doesn't do that anymore...

for the dieseling thing... maybe a vacuum line issue, maybe a sensor or something?

Back