Engine Swap 3.5 to PI 3.7 successfully | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap 3.5 to PI 3.7 successfully

The ecoboost was with the 3.5. The 8th digit of the vin is for what engine is in the car when it leaves the factory. I've bought from Five J's auto parts in Albuquerque. Their inventory shows they have several 3.7 engines in stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ecoboost was with the 3.5. The 8th digit of the vin is for what engine is in the car when it leaves the factory. I've bought from Five J's auto parts in Albuquerque. Their inventory shows they have several 3.7 engines in stock.
Bruh I live in Albuquerque... let me pull their site up! thank you again!

The 3.7 still has internal water pump and honestly they are usually ran harder since they come out of cop / utility cars. The ECU programming is also different.

The OP never actually showed us the end result and is no longer active on the forum from what I can tell.

The 3.7 still has internal water pump and honestly they are usually ran harder since they come out of cop / utility cars. The ECU programming is also different.

The OP never actually showed us the end result and is no longer active on the forum from what I can tell.
I asked for quotes on a 3.5 and 3.7 engine, as excited and confident as I was I remain undecided. I think for me it will come down to both the price, and the results of another discussion with the their teams.

Last post was on July 7th.

The 2013-2017 engines work as well, there is a tone ring that needs to swapped off the old engine. car-part.com has a list of junk yards that have motors posted. Here in phoenix, I found a 3.7 with 60,000 miles for $1,500 a few weeks ago.
which tone ring? i have a 11 that im gonna try and put a 13 motor in

My swap is finished. Original computer and wiring harness. I had a check engine light for a few sensors and a VVT Solenoid (Car had symptoms of a faulty VVT also. I was concerned that it could also be related to a different PCM and wiring harness, but I changed them anyways. Changing the parts cleared the codes and it's running great. I personally do not think that the computer and wiring harness needs to be changed, though your mileage may vary if you get an ecoboost engine.

My swap is finished. Original computer and wiring harness. I had a check engine light for a few sensors and a VVT Solenoid (Car had symptoms of a faulty VVT also. I was concerned that it could also be related to a different PCM and wiring harness, but I changed them anyways. Changing the parts cleared the codes and it's running great. I personally do not think that the computer and wiring harness needs to be changed, though your mileage may vary if you get an ecoboost engine.
Can you explain how to reset the milage?

I'm just finding this information and about to undergo the same swap. My 2015 Explorer, that we bought new with 3 miles on it, just died after 265k miles of trouble free driving. The water pump let go and locked it up.

I found a 2016 Lincoln MKZ with 81k miles on the 3.7 for $1200. I'm just here to make sure that this is a solid swap without much surprises.

I'm just finding this information and about to undergo the same swap. My 2015 Explorer, that we bought new with 3 miles on it, just died after 265k miles of trouble free driving. The water pump let go and locked it up.

I found a 2016 Lincoln MKZ with 81k miles on the 3.7 for $1200. I'm just here to make sure that this is a solid swap without much surprises.
You can only take 3.7s from another explorer. The layouts are not the same. Check put a junkyard, that's where I got my engine.

You can only take 3.7s from another explorer. The layouts are not the same. Check put a junkyard, that's where I got my engine.
Not what I wanted to hear. The only 3.7 Explorers here were wrecked in the front and damaged the block.

You might be able to find a junkyard elsewhere that can have it shipped to you. I had considered doing that until I found a junkyard near me. It costs shipping usually but expands your reach.

You might be able to find a junkyard elsewhere that can have it shipped to you. I had considered doing that until I found a junkyard near me. It costs shipping usually but expands your reach.
What's different about them? I just need a longblock. From what I understand, the FWD blocks are the same.

The ones in the Explorers are Transverse engines, the ones in mustangs and sedans are straight engines, they are not interchangeable.

The Lincoln MKT is based on the explorer and Flex, it has a 3.7 fwd block

Ah I didn't know the Lincoln MKT was based on the Explorer, thanks for correcting me!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah I didn't know the Lincoln MKT was based on the Explorer, thanks for correcting me!
Welcome, and the most important difference between those is where the water pump is located. The transverse engines all have the water pump inside the engine, which is very bad. The normal layout engines have an external WP, so those won't be ruined when a WP goes bad.

Back